Re: Can't connect to T2-301 using OTWINCFG

  • Rudy
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 11, 2010
      every ham's kit should include at least one each, null modem adapter, male & female 'gender benders'

      ve3bdr

      > Nic VK2KXN / VK5ZAT wrote...
      >
      > > I recently purchased a T2-301... pin 2 to my USB to serial converter
      > > pin 3 and pin 8 to my USB to serial converter pin 2. Is this correct?
      >
      > It appears that you have pins 2 & 3 on the PC (USB to serial) end reversed.
      >
      > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

    • Fred Hillhouse
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 11, 2010
      Hi Nic,

      I did up a drawing for visual people (me) and it is attached. I like schematics most of them time.

      It doesn't show anything new really, but it does indicate direction of data flow between the hardware. The PC pins are always as indicated when dealing with the 9 pin dsub connectors. Again, this doesn't matter if you using a USB to RS232 or PC Card to RS232 or...

      Hope this helps!
      Fred

      Message 3 of 16 , Jun 11, 2010
        It doesn't work in this case.

        n7fmh

        every ham's kit should include at least one each, null modem adapter, male & female 'gender benders'

        ve3bdr

        > Nic VK2KXN / VK5ZAT wrote...
        >
        > > I recently purchased a T2-301... pin 2 to my USB to serial converter
        > > pin 3 and pin 8 to my USB to serial converter pin 2. Is this correct?
        >
        > It appears that you have pins 2 & 3 on the PC (USB to serial) end reversed.
        >
        > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

      • Fred Hillhouse
        Message 4 of 16 , Jun 11, 2010
        This is unsolicited but It may be useful to someone.

        I use PORTB for the GPS all the time. I haven't found any reason not to since I always reserve PORTA for the PC/Laptop/PDA. [Yep, I do use a PDA at times.] Except maybe that I could plug a serial GPS directly into a T2. I configured PORTA as AUTO and PORTB for the GPS. In my case, PORTB = Garmin. Someday I may revisit my thinking but this is not the day.

        I have a Garmin GPS V that uses the connector shown. I have a cable that allows serial communications as well as power. The T2-301/GPS would make for a simple tracker.

        Enjoy!

        Best regards,
        Fred

        Message 5 of 16 , Jun 13, 2010
          At 02:17 PM 6/11/2010, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

          >This is unsolicited but It may be useful to someone.

          Yes, it is. I've been pondering how to wire my T2-301, so thanks for
          the drawings. They confirmed some things that I have done and/or considered.

          >I use PORTB for the GPS all the time. I haven't found any reason not
          >to since I always reserve PORTA for the PC/Laptop/PDA.

          So, PORT A and PORT B on the T2-301 are interchangeable to the point
          that either port could be the GPS port and either port could be the PC port?

          Bob...
        • Fred Hillhouse
          Message 6 of 16 , Jun 14, 2010

            Message 7 of 16 , Jun 14, 2010
              Hmm, my first response was not added. Oh well.

              The GPS can connect to either port. To the best of my knowledge, the ports are interchangeable with the exception of using OTWINCFG.

              Best regards,
              Fred

              Message 8 of 16 , Jun 14, 2010
                The command console also exists only on port A.

                Scott

                Fred Hillhouse wrote:

                > Hmm, my first response was not added. Oh well.
                >
                > The GPS can connect to either port. To the best of my knowledge,
                > the ports are interchangeable with the exception of using OTWINCFG.
                >
                > Best regards,
                > Fred

              • Nic McLean
                Message 9 of 16 , Jun 14, 2010
                  Thanks Fred and Keith,

                  I have straightened up pins 2 & 3 on my connector to the serial to USB
                  adapter and still can't connect. Maybe I received a faulty unit.

                  Best 73's

                  Nic

                  VK2KXN / VK5ZAT

                  I use PORTB for the GPS all the time. I haven't found any reason not to since I always reserve PORTA for the PC/Laptop/PDA. [Yep, I do use a PDA at times.] Except maybe that I could plug a serial GPS directly into a T2. I configured PORTA as AUTO and PORTB for the GPS. In my case, PORTB = Garmin.
                  Someday I may revisit my thinking but this is not the day.

                  I have a Garmin GPS V that uses the connector shown. I have a cable that allows serial communications as well as power. The T2-301/GPS would make for a simple tracker.

                  Enjoy!

                  Best regards,
                  Fred
                • Keith VE7GDH
                  Message 10 of 16 , Jun 15, 2010
                    Nic VK2KXN wrote...

                    > I have straightened up pins 2 & 3 on my connector to the serial to
                    > USB adapter and still can't connect. Maybe I received a faulty unit.

                    Possibly, but let's start at the beginning. Is there anything that you
                    can talk to with the USB to serial adapter? Do you or a friend have
                    a computer with a real RS-232 port? Have you verified the supply
                    voltage to the T2-301?

                    73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                  • gsdatplace
                    Message 11 of 16 , Jun 15, 2010
                      Additionally with regards to the USB Adapter, what COM port is it assigned to?
                      Even though the OTWINCFG has COM selections above 10, I've never been able to connect to my OT2's with anything higher than 9, COM ports higher than 10 throw a immediate error.

                      Garrett
                      VE6RKY

                      > Nic VK2KXN wrote...
                      >
                      > > I have straightened up pins 2 & 3 on my connector to the serial to
                      > > USB adapter and still can't connect. Maybe I received a faulty unit.
                      >
                      > Possibly, but let's start at the beginning. Is there anything that you
                      > can talk to with the USB to serial adapter? Do you or a friend have
                      > a computer with a real RS-232 port? Have you verified the supply
                      > voltage to the T2-301?
                      >
                      > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                    • Nic McLean

                        Message 13 of 16 , Jun 15, 2010
                          Thanks Keith,

                          The Belkin USB to serial adapter works faultlessly with other serial comms programs.

                          I do have a laptop with real RS232 I will give it a try.
                          The supply voltage is 13.8 volts from a regulated bench supply.

                          Best 73's

                          Nic
                          VK2KXN / VK5ZAT