Very New To APRS

  • KB8VOM
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2010
      Hello Group,
      I am very new to APRS, so new that I am working on my first APRS install. Here is what I face.

      I have a Garmin Nuvi 350, OT1+ in case, Garmin FMI cable, and an Alinco DR-112, and a 4-way power pole splitter.

      I know there has to be a cable between the DR-112 and the OT1+ to handle the audio coming from the ext speaker jack, and the data being sent connected to the 8 pin mic jack on the front. Does this cable need to get power from the radio or the 4-way splitter when there is power being inserted into the Garmin FMI cable. I have also read that the Garmin Nuvi 350 needs to be powered in the dock for the FMI cable to work. Seems to me that there is a lot of power in the GPS/FMI cable to power the GPS, FMI, and OT1+ already.

      Any information will be extremely grateful!!

      73,
      Adam KB8VOM
      Yuba City, CA
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2010
        Adam KB8VOM wrote...

        > I am very new to APRS, so new that I am working on my first
        > APRS install. Here is what I face.

        Welcome to the group and to APRS!

        > I have a Garmin Nuvi 350, OT1+ in case, Garmin FMI cable, and
        > an Alinco DR-112, and a 4-way power pole splitter.

        That won't work. Keep the FMI cable to use with the Nuvi for when
        you get a T2 (Tracker 2... OT2m, T2-135, T2-301 etc.) and get a
        GTRANS cable to use with the OT1+. The Nuvi must be powered
        from the cradle (rear connector) unless you have done some re-wiring.

        > I know there has to be a cable between the DR-112 and the OT1+
        > to handle the audio coming from the ext speaker jack, and the data
        > being sent connected to the 8 pin mic jack on the front. Does this
        > cable need to get power from the radio or the 4-way splitter when
        > there is power being inserted into the Garmin FMI cable. I have
        > also read that the Garmin Nuvi 350 needs to be powered in the
        > dock for the FMI cable to work. Seems to me that there is a lot
        > of power in the GPS/FMI cable to power the GPS, FMI, and OT1+
        > already.

        I'm not familiar with the radio, but the cable will carry the transmit
        and receive audio and PTT. I don't know if power is available on
        the mic connector or not. If it is, typically it might be able to supply
        enough current to power the OT1+ but not a GPS receiver. Do you
        have the manual? See above... the Nuvi must be powered externally...
        i.e. via the cradle, but you need a GTRANS cable (for now) and
        not the FMI cable.

        The radio obviously needs power. The GPS needs power. The OT1+
        needs power. Draw it out on paper and decide how you will put
        it all together. The GTRANS cable (or the FMI cable if you decide
        to get a T2) gets power from the connector on the right side of
        the Nuvi.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      • KB8VOM
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 12, 2010
          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "KB8VOM" <kb8vom_2006@...> wrote:

          > Hello Group,
          > I am very new to APRS, so new that I am working on my first APRS install. Here is what I face.
          >
          > I have a Garmin Nuvi 350, OT1+ in case, Garmin FMI cable, and an Alinco DR-112, and a 4-way power pole splitter.
          >
          > I know there has to be a cable between the DR-112 and the OT1+ to handle the audio coming from the ext speaker jack, and the data being sent connected to the 8 pin mic jack on the front. Does this cable need to get power from the radio or the 4-way splitter when there is power being inserted into the Garmin FMI cable. I have also read that the Garmin Nuvi 350 needs to be powered in the dock for the FMI cable to work. Seems to me that there is a lot of power in the GPS/FMI cable to power the GPS, FMI, and OT1+ already.
          >
          > Any information will be extremely grateful!!
          >
          > 73,
          > Adam KB8VOM
          > Yuba City, CA

          Thanks for the ones that have helped me. I will be sending the OT1+ back later this month for an exchange of the OT2.

          TNX and 73,
          Adam KB8VOM
          Yuba City, CA