RE: [tracker2] MX614 demod

  • scott@opentrac.org
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2006
      That doesn't surprise me much.  My target for the Tracker2 has been performance comparable to a TNC2.  I considered the MX614, but decided to stay away from it for now because of cost and availability issues.  I'm going to concentrate for now on getting some solid performance data on the 2211, and make sure I get all I can out of it.

      I've also considered the CMX860 or CMX868A.  Either should have at least the performance of the MX614, maybe a bit better.  The interface is a little more complicated.  They've got built-in filters, though, and input op amps to hopefully reduce some of the external part count.  They also do DTMF encoding and decoding, but not concurrently with FSK.

      Any of those chips from CML have the same availability problems, though.  Most aren't stocked in any significant quantity, you can only get them from a few distributors, and lead times are about 6 weeks.  I can get the 2211 from any of a dozen distributors, and I can get a thousand shipped overnight if I want.

      My next project's going to be a lot more performance-oriented.  The Tracker2's more about getting as much bang for your buck as possible.

      Scott