RE: [tracker2] Re: Tracker2 with LCD display

  • Fred Hillhouse
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 2, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 2.7 MB
    Hi John,

    Here are the parts.
    Digi-Key P/Ns:
    WM8181-ND, right angle header
    WM2525-ND, terminal housing
    WM2512-ND, crimp terminal

    I have all the parts and the crimper so it was not much of an effort. A
    simpler route might be to solder 6 inches or so of greater than 8-conductor
    wire and terminate it in a 9-pin Dsub connector. The only advantage the my
    cable has is I can remove it and have no extra pigtail.

    In the picture you see can the ribbon cable that is used for the LCD.
    Because the terminal just slides on the header, vehicle visitors have
    unplugged the LCD unintentionally. That requires me to open the case and
    reconnect it. Next time I have it open I will locked it in place somehow.

    In case anyone is interested, the 3-headed cable is for the GPS, PC and
    GTRANS out. The 9-pin dsub on the back on the radio is not connected. It is
    left over from when the radio/TNC cable was used for a KPC3+ and that was
    the GPS connector. The upper right face is a TK-981 (900MHz) sitting idle.
    Its twin brother is actually running elsewhere in the vehicle.

    Best regards,
    Fred

    Message 34 of 34 , Jun 7, 2010
      > - display outputs gibberish characters on lines 1/3 when T2 writes to it. But I never see gibberish on lines 2/4

      Power up sequence? What Power up sequence? Ohhhhhhhhh, you mean *that* power up sequence.

      Fred tells me the following in an email "The LCD has a particular startup sequence and this will only be done at the T2 startup."

      Whereas, I took the WIKI quite literally "No configuration is necessary. The standard Tracker2 firmware will begin using the display automatically. "

      So, I just plugged it in, hot. What a newbie mistake!

      > -I put an SPST switch on +5v input (pin 15 on the mono8) and
      > here's the really weird part. When I turn on the switch, the display and the backlight LEDs come on. When I turn off the switch, the LEDS remain on, but dim down a bit.

      Bad switch - still delivering +3.9V power in the OFF position