Re: [tracker2] Tracker 2 with LCD - How did you package it?

  • jjmagda@cox.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
      John and all,
      An echo thanks for the good info too.

      I looked everywhere for a case and found a quite expensive one by accident.

      A Pertilian external data display, recycle the internal board elsewhere, and use the 4x20 case to house the T2 viewer. (50. USD )
      Just checked and thinkgeek.com was out but others had some. Cheers!
      John-FM17, kb4yfk, VA, USA

      Sent via Verizon Pocket Communicator

      From: "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@...>
      Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 15:39:48 -0400
      To: <tracker2@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [tracker2] Tracker 2 with LCD - How did you package it?

      Hi John,

      I have not gone beyond "in the raw" yet so I won't be much help there. Let us see what you end up doing.

      Best regards,
      Fred

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
        Thanks for the quick replies guys. That's what I love most about HAMS -- they respond.

        On a whim I sent an email to Pertelian asking them to sell me a dozen of their cases and/or tell me who their supplier is. I will let you know how that turns out.

        I also think this Polycase unit shows some promise. The window in it is too small and the thread bosses will not line up with the pcb, but it still might do the trick with a scalpel and a steady hand.  I especially like the removable end panel.

        http://www.polycase.com/item/ag-54-window.html

        stay tuned..

        K0JDD John
      • JohnD
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010

          > On a whim I sent an email to Pertelian asking them to sell me a dozen of
          > their cases and/or tell me who their supplier is. I will let you know
          > how that turns out.

          I got back a really nice response from Pertelian

          Hello k0jdd,

          First off, thanks so much for the kudos ,it's always a great pleasure to get that kind of feedback.

           Second, well, I wish I had a better response for you.  All of the units we have in inventory are fully built and thus we carry no enclosures.  Although we do own the tools for our custom enclosure, getting up a production run for those will require a much larger order than I'm sure you're willing or able to put, something to the tune of several hundred I believe.

          We do have a couple of defective units which we would be able to sell you but keep in mind that the enclosures are sonically welded. If you take a look at your buddy's Pertelian, you'll notice there are no screws or the like, requiring you to crack the units open.  It can be done with patience but it's not very fun.

          You're project sounds very interesting and I wish I had better news for you.

           ForeSight Systems LLC

          Alexander Jarzebinski

          Chief Executive Officer

          Website: www.pertelian.com

          So, I am going to order the Polycase enclosure and give that a try...

          Stay Tuned

          73 de K0JDD John

        • JohnD
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2010
            The UPS man brought me lots of goodies today. :-)

            Tonight I worked on a mock-up of the packaging for my external LCD.
            It is larger than I want it to be. :-(
            I may have to look for a smaller enclosure.

            The pot in front is for the contrast control. It is also an on/off switch and I plan to wire things so that you can turn off the LCD completely.

            More to come...

            K0JDD