RE: [tracker2] Tracker 2 with LCD - How did you package it?

  • Fred Hillhouse
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
      Hi John,

      I have not gone beyond "in the raw" yet so I won't be much help there. Let us see what you end up doing.

      Best regards,
      Fred

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
        On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 3:29 PM, JohnD <k0jdd@...> wrote:
        > If you have connected an LCD I would like to hear about/see pictures of how you packaged it.  What case? What cables?

        I'd love to know what is a good source for cables/connectors. Should
        I just try to go directly to digikey or mouser and figure out what I need
        or is there something a bit simpler that will do?

        Thanks,
        Tanner Lovelace
        KB4TYE

        --
        Tanner Lovelace
        http://wtl.wayfarer.org/
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
          John and all,
          An echo thanks for the good info too.

          I looked everywhere for a case and found a quite expensive one by accident.

          A Pertilian external data display, recycle the internal board elsewhere, and use the 4x20 case to house the T2 viewer. (50. USD )
          Just checked and thinkgeek.com was out but others had some. Cheers!
          John-FM17, kb4yfk, VA, USA

          Sent via Verizon Pocket Communicator

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
            Thanks for the quick replies guys. That's what I love most about HAMS -- they respond.

            On a whim I sent an email to Pertelian asking them to sell me a dozen of their cases and/or tell me who their supplier is. I will let you know how that turns out.

            I also think this Polycase unit shows some promise. The window in it is too small and the thread bosses will not line up with the pcb, but it still might do the trick with a scalpel and a steady hand.  I especially like the removable end panel.

            http://www.polycase.com/item/ag-54-window.html

            stay tuned..

            K0JDD John
          • JohnD
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010

              > On a whim I sent an email to Pertelian asking them to sell me a dozen of
              > their cases and/or tell me who their supplier is. I will let you know
              > how that turns out.

              I got back a really nice response from Pertelian

              Hello k0jdd,

              First off, thanks so much for the kudos ,it's always a great pleasure to get that kind of feedback.

               Second, well, I wish I had a better response for you.  All of the units we have in inventory are fully built and thus we carry no enclosures.  Although we do own the tools for our custom enclosure, getting up a production run for those will require a much larger order than I'm sure you're willing or able to put, something to the tune of several hundred I believe.

              We do have a couple of defective units which we would be able to sell you but keep in mind that the enclosures are sonically welded. If you take a look at your buddy's Pertelian, you'll notice there are no screws or the like, requiring you to crack the units open.  It can be done with patience but it's not very fun.

              You're project sounds very interesting and I wish I had better news for you.

               ForeSight Systems LLC

              Alexander Jarzebinski

              Chief Executive Officer

              Website: www.pertelian.com

              So, I am going to order the Polycase enclosure and give that a try...

              Stay Tuned

              73 de K0JDD John

            • JohnD
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 4, 2010
                The UPS man brought me lots of goodies today. :-)

                Tonight I worked on a mock-up of the packaging for my external LCD.
                It is larger than I want it to be. :-(
                I may have to look for a smaller enclosure.

                The pot in front is for the contrast control. It is also an on/off switch and I plan to wire things so that you can turn off the LCD completely.

                More to come...

                K0JDD