Think my new Tracker2 was DOA... help?

  • tvrusso
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2010
      I bought a tracker 2 recently and finally got around to trying to get it hooked up on Friday. My experience suggests that it might be dead.

      I have the serial splitter cable, and Scott's new radio cable that provides power as well as audio connections.

      Here's what I've tried:

      1) With the serial splitter cable and the radio cable attached, power up the unit through the powerpoles on the radio cable. The green RX light comes on and stays lit. This already sounds bad, as I'm under the impression it's supposed to blink on power-up.

      2) Connect the A side of the splitter cable through a null modem to a computer with USB/Serial adapter, and try to run otwincfg. It gives me the "Reset the tracker now" notice. Power cycling the T2 doesn't ever wake it up.

      I've tried step 2 with three different USB/Serial adapters, and in a moment of desperation, even hooked it up to an old windows machine with a real serial port. The behavior is consistent in all four cases.

      3) To eliminate the splitter cable as a possible source of problems, I connected the null modem directly to the serial port of the T2, and observed the same behavior.

      I tried using the same computers and cabling (without the splitter, of course) to connect to my old OT1+ SMT, and they worked. So I'm sure it's not serial port or cabling issues.

      4) I tried using a plain vanilla serial comms program to connect to the T2. There is never any response from the unit. In fact, when I observe the TX/RX lights on the USB/Serial adapter, it seems that only the TX light (indicating data from computer to serial port) ever lights -- nothing ever gets sent back.

      So this really sounds like my T2 was dead on arrival. Is there any other test I could perform to make absolutely certain it's not a defective unit? And what's the procedure to get it replaced?