Re: [tracker2] T2-301 power supply

  • Jason KG4WSV
    Message 1 of 9 , May 9, 2010
      On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@...> wrote:
      > Found my source. Duracell Alkaline-Manganese Dioxide tech bulletin.
      >
      > http://www1.duracell.com/oem/Pdf/others/ATB-full.pdf
      >
      > Rated (maybe over-rated?) capacity of the Duracell MN1500 (AA) cell
      > is 2.850 AH.

      Oh, I believe you (and the data sheet). I'm sure it's true for _some_
      load. Duracell's datasheet has lots more data than the last Energizer
      datasheet I looked at, but neither of them tell you the current draw
      for that Ah rating. Duracell's got some interesting curves with
      larger (e.g. 275mA) loads that may give a clue to high current
      performance.

      > I'll have to check local stores for availability.

      Check your local discount store's photo department. About $17 per 8
      pack is the best price I've found.

      > Just need to find an 8-cell flat-pack battery holder.

      I wired two 4xAA holders side by side, but it's not an enclosure -
      just something meant to ride inside a balloon payload.

      -Jason
      kg4wsv
    • Bob Burns W9RXR
      Message 2 of 9 , May 9, 2010
        At 06:15 PM 5/9/2010, Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:

        >Just need to find an 8-cell flat-pack battery holder.

        Scott, what are the dimensions of the 8 AA battery holder you have in
        the store?

        https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=96

        I've found some 8-cell flat-pack holders on-line, but only from
        Aisian distributors who have large minimum orders. The Blossom BH381
        is one example. I'm thinking that a T2-301 and an 8-cell flat-pack
        holder would fit very nicely in something like a Pelican 1030 case.

        Bob...
        Message 3 of 9 , May 9, 2010
          I'd have to check - it's made by MPD and their site at
          batteryholders.com should have drawings.

          For the SAR packs, I forget where I got those holders. I'll have to go
          dig through some invoices.

          Scott

          Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:

          > At 06:15 PM 5/9/2010, Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:
          >
          > >Just need to find an 8-cell flat-pack battery holder.
          >
          > Scott, what are the dimensions of the 8 AA battery holder you have in
          > the store?
          >
          > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=96
          > <https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=96>
          >
          > I've found some 8-cell flat-pack holders on-line, but only from
          > Aisian distributors who have large minimum orders. The Blossom BH381
          > is one example. I'm thinking that a T2-301 and an 8-cell flat-pack
          > holder would fit very nicely in something like a Pelican 1030 case.
          >
          > Bob...

        • Larry Simon
          Message 4 of 9 , May 9, 2010
            are you looking for something like this?
            <http://www.batteryspace.com/batteryholder8xaasidebysidewith626awgwireleads-rohscompliant.aspx>

            _____

            At 06:15 PM 5/9/2010, Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:

            >Just need to find an 8-cell flat-pack battery holder.

            Scott, what are the dimensions of the 8 AA battery holder you have in
            the store?

            <https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=96>

            I've found some 8-cell flat-pack holders on-line, but only from
            Aisian distributors who have large minimum orders. The Blossom BH381
            is one example. I'm thinking that a T2-301 and an 8-cell flat-pack
            holder would fit very nicely in something like a Pelican 1030 case.

            Bob...
          • Tim Cunningham
            Message 5 of 9 , May 9, 2010
              Forget about Alkaline.

              Here is a nice reference to some NiMH batteries and chargers for reference
              you might find helpful, but it is a little dated:

              http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

              I have tested a few brands myself (NiMH variety) and found that none lived
              up to their actual ratings. Chargers and batteries have been a variable in
              my digital camera operation. I finally tossed my charger and upgraded to a
              more elaborate charger and it indeed made a huge difference in how I group
              my batteries for camera/flash operation. Some batteries come close to their
              rated numbers as far as capacity (NiMH type) but I have not seen many in my
              experience. It only takes one bad link in a chain to cause trouble as well.
              So, the condition of any battery and its storage capability are important
              when used in series. I once had some Camedia batteries that really performed
              many years ago and they lasted the longest as far as the number of recharge
              cycles. History has not repeated in this area. Manufacturers change their
              recipe from time to time and you cannot expect the same brand to perform the
              same either as new batteries are released. I have thrown many of the
              Duracell 2600mah batteries away due to high impedance failures or failure to
              live up to the rated capacity. I have been pleased with PowerEx so far, but
              I just started using their products in the past 6 months.

              I have a Maha MH-C9000 charger that I have been very pleased with using to
              keep my batteries in good condition and report the health by analyzing the
              batteries. This has proved its worth many times to keep my camera and flash
              running on extended periods. I carry several sets of batteries grouped
              according to their actual (not rated) storage capacity. It makes enough
              difference to do this when you need reliable and repeatable performance.

              Lithium's will be the best bet.

              All rechargeables need to be topped off or recharged before prior to use due
              to shelf life limitations if you want/need/demand maximum performance. For
              critical operation you need to analyze your batteries (put them to the test)
              before you put them into operation to avoid any surprises.

              73's,

              Tim - N8DEU

              Message 6 of 9 , May 10, 2010
                At 08:31 PM 5/9/2010, Larry Simon wrote:
                >are you looking for something like this?
                ><http://www.batteryspace.com/batteryholder8xaasidebysidewith626awgwireleads-rohscompliant.aspx>

                Exactly. Thanks, Larry!

                At 01:19 AM 5/10/2010, Tim Cunningham wrote:
                >Forget about Alkaline.

                Check.

                >Lithium's will be the best bet.

                I'll be stopping at Wal-Mart (ugh) this evening to see what they have.

                Bob...