Re: Icom 8-Pin Connector (IC-28A)

  • CatzMeow
    Message 1 of 3 , May 8, 2010
      Kriss,
      Excellent help! Thank you very much!

      As you said, there was enough power coming off the mic jack to power the
      OT2m. The grounds did have continuity so I bundled them together, and
      the AF out is working as my audio in. I'm transmitting and everything!

      I also think these clues will help me with the trouble I'm having with
      the Kenwood connector (different thread).

      Right now, it's all on the breadboard until I get a second IC-28A coming
      in to use for parts (the squelch pot on mine is busted and I want it to
      be 100% before I put it all together in the car).

      Thanks again for your help.

      -Ed-
      KJ6BGS
      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "captnkliegle" <kliegle@...> wrote:

      > Check the ops manual as to how much current can be pulled thru the 8V
      dc line, typically <150mA. (That's used to power the electret mic BTW)
      If set up is ONLY used for the OT2 and no external GPS... should be OK.
      I have numerous Open Trackers of all types, so I never know what the
      tracker/GPS configuration will be. Therefore....For powering the
      tracker, I take small gauge wire and tap into the rig powerpole
      connector. Insert a small fuse as well. Mini blade fuses are easy to
      solder wires too and shrink tube can cover the solder, allowing the fuse
      to be checked visually.

      > The PTT line on rig would go to Pin 3 on the DB-9 (When grounded it
      will TX the radio)

      > The audio (if genuine AF output, not discriminator audio), can go from
      PIN 8 on mic jack of rig to pin 5 of DB-9) OTW one has to get audio from
      external speaker jack, more wiring and another point of failure.. but
      does work.
      > Use a DMM on continuity and see if the two GNDs (Mic and PTT GND) are
      the same (connected) on the mic jack. OTW use the PTT ground.

      > I just wired up a Kenwood TM-241A using the external speaker for audio
      and had to remove the 2.2K ohm pull down resistor on the PTT on a TT3+.
      Worked fine as is on a OT rev 4 set up for mobile rig. I put the
      resistor and caps in my DB-9 for HT work, that way I don't have to
      remove the cover when putting a tracker together.