Fighting with a Kenwood

  • CatzMeow
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2010

      Fellow Yahooligans,

      My first Tracker project was an OT+, Garmin eTrex, and my FT-60r.  With that, I built the radio interface to be a kind of RJ-45 female to DB-9 connector (with an extraneous 9v battery connector to power the OT+).  The idea was that I could switch out radios fairly easily by standardizing the RJ-45.  I had picked up the Yaesu HT to RJ-45  connector from Argent. and mapped the RJ-45 like this:

      Band closest to the 'hilt' is ground

      Next band isn't used

      Next band is PTT/Mic

      Tip is speaker.

      Now, I'm in trouble because the Kenwood HT has separated PTT and Mic (I think) and I don't know how to map that to the DB9 of the radio connector.  I picked up the Kenwood HT to RJ-45  Cable and noticed that it has one more wire than the Yaesu version going to the RJ-45 jack.

      Does anyone know how those 4 wires should map to the DB9 of the OT2m?  Here's the schematic  of the connector.  I've figured out:

      Tip of the small jack is the speaker (Pin 5 on DB9, Audio in)

      Shaft of the small jack is ground (Pin 6)

      The middle band of the large jack would be the PTT/Mic on a Yaesu, so it's mapped to Pin 1 (audio out), which works cuz I'll see the rec'v data coming in, but it won't key up to send.

      If I tie the shaft of both jacks to ground, it keys up steady (all the time), so that last wire has to be the one telling it to key, but I don't know where to map it on the DB9.

      Help, please.

      And thank you!

      -Ed-

      KJ6BGS