Icom 8-Pin Connector (IC-28A)

  • CatzMeow
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2010
      Team,
      Got my OT2m in today (Thanks, Scott!) and already have it working with my FT-60 and Nuvi 350.

      I've got an IC-28A on the bench and I'm going to build the cable but since I'm new to the hobby, I have some (probably obvious) questions:

      The 8 pin looks like this:

      1 Mic In (will go to Pin 1 of the Radio DB-9)
      2 +8 VDC (was thinking of putting this to pin 7)
      3 Freq up/down - Not Used
      4 Not Used
      5 PTT
      6 Gnd (PTT Gnd)
      7 Gnd (Mic Gnd)
      8 AF Output (Is this audio out? Pin 5, then)

      My questions are:
      Not sure how to do the PTT bit, would Pin 5 on the Icom go to Pin 8 of the DB9?
      Can I tie both Grounds (Pin 6 and 7 of the 8 pin) to one ground on pin 6 of the DB-9?

      Whatcha think? I have other questions about a Kenwood connector, but I'll post that in a different thread.

      Thanks!
      -Ed-
      KJ6BGS
    • captnkliegle
      Message 2 of 3 , May 8, 2010
        Check the ops manual as to how much current can be pulled thru the 8V dc line, typically <150mA. (That's used to power the electret mic BTW) If set up is ONLY used for the OT2 and no external GPS... should be OK. I have numerous Open Trackers of all types, so I never know what the tracker/GPS configuration will be. Therefore....For powering the tracker, I take small gauge wire and tap into the rig powerpole connector. Insert a small fuse as well. Mini blade fuses are easy to solder wires too and shrink tube can cover the solder, allowing the fuse to be checked visually.

        The PTT line on rig would go to Pin 3 on the DB-9 (When grounded it will TX the radio)

        The audio (if genuine AF output, not discriminator audio), can go from PIN 8 on mic jack of rig to pin 5 of DB-9) OTW one has to get audio from external speaker jack, more wiring and another point of failure.. but does work.
        Use a DMM on continuity and see if the two GNDs (Mic and PTT GND) are the same (connected) on the mic jack. OTW use the PTT ground.

        I just wired up a Kenwood TM-241A using the external speaker for audio and had to remove the 2.2K ohm pull down resistor on the PTT on a TT3+. Worked fine as is on a OT rev 4 set up for mobile rig. I put the resistor and caps in my DB-9 for HT work, that way I don't have to remove the cover when putting a tracker together.

        Kriss KA1GJU-X X=INT(2-9)

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "CatzMeow" <ironkitty@...> wrote:

        > Team,
        > Got my OT2m in today (Thanks, Scott!) and already have it working with my FT-60 and Nuvi 350.
        >
        > I've got an IC-28A on the bench and I'm going to build the cable but since I'm new to the hobby, I have some (probably obvious) questions:
        >
        > The 8 pin looks like this:
        >
        > 1 Mic In (will go to Pin 1 of the Radio DB-9)
        > 2 +8 VDC (was thinking of putting this to pin 7)
        > 3 Freq up/down - Not Used
        > 4 Not Used
        > 5 PTT
        > 6 Gnd (PTT Gnd)
        > 7 Gnd (Mic Gnd)
        > 8 AF Output (Is this audio out? Pin 5, then)
        >
        > My questions are:
        > Not sure how to do the PTT bit, would Pin 5 on the Icom go to Pin 8 of the DB9?
        > Can I tie both Grounds (Pin 6 and 7 of the 8 pin) to one ground on pin 6 of the DB-9?
        >
        > Whatcha think? I have other questions about a Kenwood connector, but I'll post that in a different thread.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > -Ed-
        > KJ6BGS

      • CatzMeow
        Message 3 of 3 , May 8, 2010
          Kriss,
          Excellent help! Thank you very much!

          As you said, there was enough power coming off the mic jack to power the
          OT2m. The grounds did have continuity so I bundled them together, and
          the AF out is working as my audio in. I'm transmitting and everything!

          I also think these clues will help me with the trouble I'm having with
          the Kenwood connector (different thread).

          Right now, it's all on the breadboard until I get a second IC-28A coming
          in to use for parts (the squelch pot on mine is busted and I want it to
          be 100% before I put it all together in the car).

          Thanks again for your help.

          -Ed-
          KJ6BGS