Changing Profiles via 'Accessory Switch'

  • liquid_squelch
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 15 2:12 PM
      It looks like rain for the next 3 days, so it is a good time for me to take on a project that has been on the back burner for a few weeks.

      I'm going to build my radio and tracker into a carry box, so I can take APRS where I need it - if I ever had to.

      I picked up an On - Off - (On) (for momentary tx testing) Switch today to toggle the Tracker Profile via the accessory port. I could aways use my Nuvi350 to throw the command, but I wanted to have an option if I was forced to use a 'puck' GPS receiver.

      My simple question is, how does the accessory port work to change the profile? Would "Off" just be connected to pin 2 or 3 for ground, and On would go to pin 6 for Profile? Does that basically mean when pin 6 is connected to Ground it is in profile 2, and when it is open, it is on profile 1?

      In addition, I can assume that connecting pin 1 to 2 (or 3) would force the radio to key, correct?

      I'm just looking to complete my "grab and go" box for APRS, or Digital comms (WL2K or Packet).

      Thanks again
      73
      Phil / w2lie
    • Alan
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 17 9:54 PM
        Phil,

        Pin 1 momentary Force TX Position beacon
        Pin 3 Ground (center of switch)
        Pin 6 switch profile

        You can set profile switching however you want in the OTconfig program, under the Profile Switching Tab.

        I set mine to profile 2 when the switch is off (WIDE1-1 DX mode)
        Switch left profile 1 (No Path local mode)
        Switch momentary right forced PTT

        I set it that way since my profile 1 has no path, profile 2 has path WIDE1-1. When forcing a position beacon it also has a WIDE1-1 path since profile is open.

        In California a single hop WIDE1-1 is all that is necessary.

        If you save the photos of my switch, you can enlarge them enough to read the text info on the pictures.

        Alan

        > I picked up an On - Off - (On) (for momentary tx testing) Switch today to toggle the Tracker Profile via the accessory port. I could aways use my Nuvi350 to throw the command, but I wanted to have an option if I was forced to use a 'puck' GPS receiver.
        >
        > My simple question is, how does the accessory port work to change the profile? Would "Off" just be connected to pin 2 or 3 for ground, and On would go to pin 6 for Profile? Does that basically mean when pin 6 is connected to Ground it is in profile 2, and when it is open, it is on profile 1?
        > 73
        > Phil / w2lie

      • Rolf Krogstad
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2010
          Alan  (alan@...),

          I put together your Accessory Switch with a RJ-25.  I am running my tracker in Garmin mode.
          I have tested the contacts on the RJ25 and the Ohm Meter shows when I close the switch, so the crimping of the wires is solid.  But I get no Tx and no Profile change.

          Am I missing a piece of the puzzle?
          Is it necessary to make a mod to the inside of the unit?
          Is there a configuration that needs to be turned on?
          Maybe it doesn't work in Garmin mode?
          Any ideas?

          Thanks,

          Rolf  NR0T

          Re: Changing Profiles via 'Accessory Switch'
          Posted by: "Alan" alan@...   radionerd1
          Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:54 pm (PDT)

          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2010
            You will need to program the profile switch on the profile switching GUI. Set one profile with jumper switch on, and the other with jumper off. Then when the switch is switched, it will change profile.

            I think Forced PTT should work regardless, but maybe try checking the "Use PTT switch" box.
          • gulfcoast_railfan
            Message 5 of 5 , May 26, 2010
              Group,

              I wired these two options up the other day as well. The Accessory Connector/Pin 1 - "Transmit select" does not seem to be working.

              Is there a GUI setting I am missing in set-up? Any help?

              73

              Paul, KI4DMP