Sharing the OT2m's Nuvi 350 with D-Star ?

  • liquid_squelch
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2010
      Hi All

      I currently have my Nuvi-350 hooked up to my OT2m and it works great.

      I was wondering if I could split the serial port on the FMI before it gets to the OT2m and feed the GPS signal to my IC-91AD as well. Has anyone tried this? Can a GPS signal be split, or am I better off running a dedicated GPS to the DSTAR Radio?

      This is about all I can find with a quick Google search: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/support/forums/tm.asp?m=2477&mpage=1&key=র

      and

      http://members.cox.net/kb6oya/91AD_GPS.html

      Thanks for the help.. I'm looking forward to adding DSTAR to my APRS setup.

      73
      Phil / w2lie
    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2010
        Just a guess to get you a quick response. The 350 to OT2m is not
        speaking NMEA, but Garmin GPS protocol. Can the IC-91AD handle that?
        If so, I'll let others that know more comment on the finer details.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

        liquid_squelch wrote:
        > Hi All
        >
        > I currently have my Nuvi-350 hooked up to my OT2m and it works great.
        >
        > I was wondering if I could split the serial port on the FMI before it gets to the OT2m and feed the GPS signal to my IC-91AD as well. Has anyone tried this? Can a GPS signal be split, or am I better off running a dedicated GPS to the DSTAR Radio?
        >
        > This is about all I can find with a quick Google search: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/support/forums/tm.asp?m=2477&mpage=1&key=র
        >
        > and
        >
        > http://members.cox.net/kb6oya/91AD_GPS.html
        >
        > Thanks for the help.. I'm looking forward to adding DSTAR to my APRS setup.
        >
        > 73
        > Phil / w2lie

      • Fred Hillhouse
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2010
          Hi Phil,

          You need NMEA for the IC-91AD and that is not readily available. But...

          I added a GTRANS to the inside of my OT2 and it works just fine. I added pictures to the Photos section I believe. I can provide more information if needed.

          The GTRANS converts the Garmin Protocol to NMEA which would allow you to use a Nuvi350 with just the IC-91AD if you wanted.

          BTW, if the IC-91AD uses the same data cable as the IC-U82, the Kenwood version of the GTRANS will not work. IIRC the TIP and RING are reversed.

          Best regards,
          Fred

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2010
            The GTRANS will also give these sentences, GPRMC, GPGLL, GPGGA. There are up to 5 that can be sent in the IC-U82. I do not know what the IC-91AD will accept. I usually only send RMC anyway so it is not a problem for me.

            BTW, I use the GTRANS output to feed a laptop running APRSIS32, ExpertGPS and other assorted software/hardware. Some software does like more sentences if available but overall there has not been any show stoppers. This way, I have one GPS on the dash. It relieves some of the clutter.

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2010
              Fred,
              I think I found your pictures here:

              Are you using this cable from Argent?
              https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=113

              So I assume you are running the FMI cable from the Nuvi to the OT2m. Inside the OT2m you have the GTRANS's USB side of the cable cut?

              Maybe I am lost, but wouldn't it have been easier to have the GTRANS cable come off the NUVI, and split before it hit the serial port of the OT2m? I think I am missing something..

              I will have to look and see if the IC92 and IC91 speak the same language. I would think they do.

              And yes, the purpose of this is to keep the clutter down, and put all of my data tracking into one easy to grab kit.

              Thanks again for the help
              73
              Phil / w2lie

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

              > Hi Phil,
              >
              > You need NMEA for the IC-91AD and that is not readily available. But...
              >
              > I added a GTRANS to the inside of my OT2 and it works just fine. I added
              > pictures to the Photos section I believe. I can provide more information if
              > needed.
              >
              > The GTRANS converts the Garmin Protocol to NMEA which would allow you to use
              > a Nuvi350 with just the IC-91AD if you wanted.
              >
              > BTW, if the IC-91AD uses the same data cable as the IC-U82, the Kenwood
              > version of the GTRANS will not work. IIRC the TIP and RING are reversed.
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Fred
              >

              > _____

            • Fred Hillhouse
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2010
                Hi Phil,

                That is the picture and I made my cable.

                I am using a Garmin GPS V not the Nuvi 350. But that is not anything to
                wonder about too much. Both receivers talk the same protocol known as the
                Garmin Protocol.

                If you were to follow my path somewhat, you would need a cable to connect
                the Nuvi350 to the OT2m. That keeps the OT2/GPS connection easy.

                I ordered a Kenwood version of the GTRANS. I didn't have any right angle
                2.5mm connectors at the time whereas I have a ton of DE-9 connectors. The
                right angle USB cable is sitting in the project box. If you buy the Kenwood
                version, just remember the tip and ring need to be swapped.

                There are two reasons I followed this path. First, I wanted to use the
                Garmin Protocol for communication with the GPS. By doing so, I get an
                antenna for a repeater object, a car for a vehicle, etc. In NMEA mode, I get
                dots. So, a dots or an antenna, car, etc? I chose the cool icons! Second, I
                wanted less clutter. With the GTRANS inside the OT2 it sees no strain or
                stress of the cables. You could certainly splice the GTRANS in anywhere you
                like.

                My OT2 has five connectors on the back. One is for the LCD which exits the
                grommeted hole. One is for the radio and the other three are in a three
                headed beast (rather than the two headed version Scott sells) that provides
                a PC (Port A), GPS (Garmin Protocol/Port B) and GPS (NEMA/Port C, Pin 1)
                connection. Port C is my addition!

                I would bet your IC-91AD uses NMEA only. That makes it easy. There is also
                no need for more than that. The radios do not send waypoints to the GPS
                anyway. Of course my assumption is based on the radio I have, the IC-U82
                (UHF only) and my friends radio, the ID-800 (VHF/UHF). Okay, inquiring minds
                have to know: A total 5 sentences, RMC, GGA, GLL, GSA and VTG are available
                according to the manual (page 58).

                More manual information (page 34): The IC-91A*/91AD can be operated in
                digital voice mode and low-speed data operation for both transmit and
                receive. It can also be connected to a GPS receiver (compatible with an
                RS-232 output/NMEA format/4800 bps) and transmit/receive position data.

                Best regards,
                Fred

                _____

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1, 2010
                  Hi Phil,

                  That is the picture and I made my cable.

                  I am using a Garmin GPS V not the Nuvi 350. But that is not anything to worry/wonder about too much. Both receivers talk the same protocol known as the Garmin Protocol. The Nuvi has the added feature of FMI which rides on the Garmin Protocol.

                  If you were to follow my path somewhat, you would need a cable to connect the Nuvi350 to the OT2m. That keeps the OT2/GPS connection easy.

                  I ordered a Kenwood version of the GTRANS. I didn't have any right angle 2.5mm connectors at the time whereas I have a ton of DE-9 connectors. The right angle Kenwood and USB cable are sitting in the project box. If you buy the Kenwood version, you can use it, just remember the tip and ring need to be swapped.

                  There are two reasons I followed this path. First, I wanted to use the Garmin Protocol for communication with the GPS. By doing so, I get an antenna for a repeater object, a car for a vehicle, etc. In NMEA mode, I get dots. So, a dot or an antenna, car, etc? I chose the cool icons! Second, I wanted less clutter. With the GTRANS inside the OT2 it sees no strain or stress of the cables. You could certainly splice the GTRANS in anywhere you like.

                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "liquid_squelch" <yahoo@...> wrote:

                  > Fred,
                  > I think I found your pictures here:
                  >
                  > Are you using this cable from Argent?
                  > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=113
                  >

                  > So I assume you are running the FMI cable from the Nuvi to the OT2m. Inside the OT2m you have the GTRANS's USB side of the cable cut?
                  >
                  > Maybe I am lost, but wouldn't it have been easier to have the GTRANS cable come off the NUVI, and split before it hit the serial port of the OT2m? I think I am missing something..
                  >
                  > I will have to look and see if the IC92 and IC91 speak the same language. I would think they do.
                  >
                  > And yes, the purpose of this is to keep the clutter down, and put all of my data tracking into one easy to grab kit.
                  >
                  > Thanks again for the help
                  > 73
                  > Phil / w2lie
                  >
                  > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Phil,
                  > >
                  > > You need NMEA for the IC-91AD and that is not readily available. But...
                  > >
                  > > I added a GTRANS to the inside of my OT2 and it works just fine. I added
                  > > pictures to the Photos section I believe. I can provide more information if
                  > > needed.
                  > >
                  > > The GTRANS converts the Garmin Protocol to NMEA which would allow you to use
                  > > a Nuvi350 with just the IC-91AD if you wanted.
                  > >
                  > > BTW, if the IC-91AD uses the same data cable as the IC-U82, the Kenwood
                  > > version of the GTRANS will not work. IIRC the TIP and RING are reversed.
                  > >
                  > > Best regards,
                  > > Fred
                  > >

                  > > _____

                • liquid_squelch
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 4, 2010
                    Fred,
                    The light bulb is starting to glow...

                    So if I understand correctly, you cut the USB connector off of the GTRANS cable, and opened up the coating on the circuit board to give you access to 3 connections. +5v, Ground, and Data. Is that correct?

                    The Data out from the GTRANS comes out of the DB-9 port 1. Ground is shared with the existing port.

                    This basically means the only part of the GTRANS cable in use is the actual circuit board. The USB and the radio plug are "discarded" for future use?

                    That setup should allow for the Garmin Protocal coming into the OT2m for positioning will also be outputted as NMEA. Now, what would happen if the signal coming into port 2 was already NMEA? I would assume the GTRANS would do nothing then, correct?

                    I also like the idea on the LCD Display. That was something I forgot about. That would be something neat to place above the radio on my dash, or in my APRS Kit that will hold my OT2m and Radio, so I know I am decoding valid data. Where did you purchase the LCD Display from? I see three links on the Wiki, did you use one of those?

                    Additionally, I am going to add a switch to allow me to change profiles on the fly. I would also like the switch to have a 'momentary' position so I can key the radio if I needed to test for VSWR or anything like that.

                    I love how a simple project of putting a tracker in my vehicle has turned into a snowball picking up speed! What a great hobby :)

                    73 & Thanks for the help
                    Phil / w2lie
                  • liquid_squelch
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 4, 2010

                      Thanks Fred - this looks like it answers all of my questions!

                      /w2lie

                      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "liquid_squelch" <yahoo@...> wrote:

                      > Fred,
                      > The light bulb is starting to glow...
                      >
                      > So if I understand correctly, you cut the USB connector off of the GTRANS cable, and opened up the coating on the circuit board to give you access to 3 connections. +5v, Ground, and Data. Is that correct?
                      >
                      > The Data out from the GTRANS comes out of the DB-9 port 1. Ground is shared with the existing port.
                      >
                      > This basically means the only part of the GTRANS cable in use is the actual circuit board. The USB and the radio plug are "discarded" for future use?
                      >
                      > That setup should allow for the Garmin Protocal coming into the OT2m for positioning will also be outputted as NMEA. Now, what would happen if the signal coming into port 2 was already NMEA? I would assume the GTRANS would do nothing then, correct?
                      >
                      > I also like the idea on the LCD Display. That was something I forgot about. That would be something neat to place above the radio on my dash, or in my APRS Kit that will hold my OT2m and Radio, so I know I am decoding valid data. Where did you purchase the LCD Display from? I see three links on the Wiki, did you use one of those?
                      >
                      > Additionally, I am going to add a switch to allow me to change profiles on the fly. I would also like the switch to have a 'momentary' position so I can key the radio if I needed to test for VSWR or anything like that.
                      >
                      > I love how a simple project of putting a tracker in my vehicle has turned into a snowball picking up speed! What a great hobby :)
                      >
                      > 73 & Thanks for the help
                      > Phil / w2lie

                    • liquid_squelch
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 19, 2010
                        Fred,
                        One last question -
                        This cable here should work, right?
                        https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=114&osCsid=bc885c0e42bfc438028d729aaa272465

                        Lastly- have you tried to connect the output of the GTRANS cable to the serial port on your laptop? Does that work as a GPS?

                        I'm thinking that if I don't use it to drive the GPS on my IC91AD, I can still use it to drive DRATS or XASTIR and send the GPS data out via software to the radio.

                        Thanks
                        Phil

                      • liquid_squelch
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 19, 2010
                          Fred,
                          One last question -
                          This cable here should work, right?
                          [GTRANS-9F] ??
                          That is the DB-9 GTRANS cable. The 2.5mm is Out of Stock.

                        • Fred Hillhouse
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 20, 2010
                            Hi Phil,

                            I believe the GTRANS-9F is wired to plug directly into a PC. The PC has a male connector.

                            I use it now as a GPS on my laptop. Keep in mind that the full collection of sentences are not available. For instance, the sentence that provides all the satellites in use is not there, but it does provide Valid FIX status; 2D vs 3D is not available.

                            I have connected it to my D-Star radio as well as my laptop.

                            For all intents and purposes, the GTRANS looks like a NMEA flavor GPS to whatever is connected to it.

                            Best regards,
                            Fred