Debugging T2 digipeater

  • k7rbw
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1 10:39 AM
      I was working with my Tracker2 last night and noticed that it wouldn't digipeat one of my beacons so I was wondering how I might go about troubleshooting it.

      Here's what I have:

      1) Kenwood mobile rig connected to a late model T2 w/ Nuvi 350 (port b) -- this seems to work fine.
      2) (port a) is running in KISS mode to APRSISCE/32 which also seems to be working fine (but it's not gating packets to the internet, it seems to just be receiving them).
      3) FT-857 hooked up to monitor the RF traffic using a Signalink USB audio box into AGWPE and the AGW terminal

      4) Beacon 1 - VX-8R. These packets get digipeated by #1 as expected. I see the beacon's message followed immediately by the digipeated packet with #1's call inserted.

      5) Beacon 2 - Byonics AIO beacon. These packets get digipeated intermitently. Maybe 1/10 of the time but not with any obvious pattern. I see them on the FT-857's terminal and the VX-8R is picking them up as well.

      So, I'm wondering if the T2 isn't decoding the AIO's packets all the time (even though the other radios are) and if not, is there some way to tell and/or adjust that?

      A "silver bullet" would be nice, but absent that, if there was some way see where things were disappearing, that'd be a big help, too.

      Thanks in advance for any ideas.

      --bob
      K7RBW (-1, -7, -9, & -14)
    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1 10:56 AM
        Ok, with some sleuthing through aprs.fi, I've established:

        K7RBW - UI-View via TCP, and not very recently
        K7RBW-1 - APRSIS32 running a non-verified connection to APRS-IS (you
        need a passcode)
        K7RBW-7 - APY008 implies the VX-8R
        K7RBW-9 - AP0T21 implies the T2
        K7RBW-14 - APT3A2 must be the AOI?

        So, did you get a popup from APRSIS32 about having an unverified
        connection? You need to e-mail me at KJ4ERJ@... and I'll give you
        one. Or just copy the network password from your old UI-View
        installation if it's still around. That will solve the IGating issue.

        If you edit your APRSIS32.XML file
        (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/editing-xml-configuration) and set
        <Update.Development> to 1, the About box will offer you a new version.
        In that version, you can open up the Enables / View Logs / KISS to see
        whats coming and going via the KISS Interface. Enables / View Logs /
        Packets will show you all RF and IS packets running through the client.
        This can help you verify what the T2 is and is not decoding relative to
        what you see on AGW and/or the VX-8R.

        Even without upgrading to the latest development release, the scrolling
        station log in APRSIS32 should show you each packet received via KISS
        with a * next to it. If you configure your Range to be 0 and leave out
        any other filter string, you should only see traffic coming in via RF.
        (Note that you might have to disable and enable APRS-IS to get the
        previous filter completely cleared).

        In my experience, there's no comparison to the decoding abilities of
        AGWPEpro. I've held it up against D7s, TinyTrak4, T2-135s, and OT2m and
        AGW consistently decodes every packet from those TNCs and throws in
        several more for good measure. Hardware, it seems, just can't rival the
        power of a software decoder.

        PS. To download your own free copy of APRSIS32, join the APRSISCE Yahoo
        Group at:

        k7rbw wrote:
        > I was working with my Tracker2 last night and noticed that it wouldn't digipeat one of my beacons so I was wondering how I might go about troubleshooting it.
        >
        > Here's what I have:
        >
        > 1) Kenwood mobile rig connected to a late model T2 w/ Nuvi 350 (port b) -- this seems to work fine.
        > 2) (port a) is running in KISS mode to APRSISCE/32 which also seems to be working fine (but it's not gating packets to the internet, it seems to just be receiving them).
        > 3) FT-857 hooked up to monitor the RF traffic using a Signalink USB audio box into AGWPE and the AGW terminal
        >
        > 4) Beacon 1 - VX-8R. These packets get digipeated by #1 as expected. I see the beacon's message followed immediately by the digipeated packet with #1's call inserted.
        >
        > 5) Beacon 2 - Byonics AIO beacon. These packets get digipeated intermitently. Maybe 1/10 of the time but not with any obvious pattern. I see them on the FT-857's terminal and the VX-8R is picking them up as well.
        >
        > So, I'm wondering if the T2 isn't decoding the AIO's packets all the time (even though the other radios are) and if not, is there some way to tell and/or adjust that?
        >
        > A "silver bullet" would be nice, but absent that, if there was some way see where things were disappearing, that'd be a big help, too.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any ideas.
        >
        > --bob
        > K7RBW (-1, -7, -9, & -14)

      • k7rbw
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1 12:00 PM
          Thanks for the detailed and quick reply, Lynn!

          RE Unverified APRSIS32: This morning I inserted the code from UI-View so it's now on the net (when I'm running it, anyway).

          RE My problem... Another thread was talking about deviation which reminded me that I'd fiddled with that in the AIO tracker so, using the AGWPE's "tuning aid," I tweaked the AIO's deviation to get some cleaner tones. That seemed to make the T2 much happier as it's now digipeating the AIO's packets with much greater regularity.

          Thanks for the info on the additional APRSIS32 features. I'll give them a try and see what looks interesting!

          --bob
          K7RBW

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

          > Ok, with some sleuthing through aprs.fi, I've established:
          >
          > K7RBW - UI-View via TCP, and not very recently
          > K7RBW-1 - APRSIS32 running a non-verified connection to APRS-IS (you
          > need a passcode)
          > K7RBW-7 - APY008 implies the VX-8R
          > K7RBW-9 - AP0T21 implies the T2
          > K7RBW-14 - APT3A2 must be the AOI?
          >
          > So, did you get a popup from APRSIS32 about having an unverified
          > connection? You need to e-mail me at KJ4ERJ@... and I'll give you
          > one. Or just copy the network password from your old UI-View
          > installation if it's still around. That will solve the IGating issue.
          >
          > If you edit your APRSIS32.XML file
          > (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/editing-xml-configuration) and set
          > <Update.Development> to 1, the About box will offer you a new version.
          > In that version, you can open up the Enables / View Logs / KISS to see
          > whats coming and going via the KISS Interface. Enables / View Logs /
          > Packets will show you all RF and IS packets running through the client.
          > This can help you verify what the T2 is and is not decoding relative to
          > what you see on AGW and/or the VX-8R.
          >
          > Even without upgrading to the latest development release, the scrolling
          > station log in APRSIS32 should show you each packet received via KISS
          > with a * next to it. If you configure your Range to be 0 and leave out
          > any other filter string, you should only see traffic coming in via RF.
          > (Note that you might have to disable and enable APRS-IS to get the
          > previous filter completely cleared).
          >
          > In my experience, there's no comparison to the decoding abilities of
          > AGWPEpro. I've held it up against D7s, TinyTrak4, T2-135s, and OT2m and
          > AGW consistently decodes every packet from those TNCs and throws in
          > several more for good measure. Hardware, it seems, just can't rival the
          > power of a software decoder.

          > PS. To download your own free copy of APRSIS32, join the APRSISCE Yahoo
          > Group at:

        • Keith VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1 12:03 PM
            Bob K7RBW wrote...

            > 5) Beacon 2 - Byonics AIO beacon. These packets get digipeated
            > intermitently. Maybe 1/10 of the time but not with any obvious pattern.

            How is the deviation and TXdelay on the AIO? If you don't have
            a deviation meter, an experienced ear should be able to tell if it
            was very high or very low. Long and short transmit delays are
            also easy to tell by ear.

            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
          • Fred Hillhouse
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1 12:10 PM
              Does AGWPE do deviation measurements?

              Thanks!
              Fred

              Thanks for the detailed and quick reply, Lynn!

              RE Unverified APRSIS32: This morning I inserted the code from UI-View so it's now on the net (when I'm running it, anyway).

              RE My problem... Another thread was talking about deviation which reminded me that I'd fiddled with that in the AIO tracker so, using the AGWPE's "tuning aid," I tweaked the AIO's deviation to get some cleaner tones. That seemed to make the T2 much happier as it's now digipeating the AIO's packets with much greater regularity.

              Thanks for the info on the additional APRSIS32 features. I'll give them a try and see what looks interesting!

              --bob
              K7RBW

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@.. .> wrote:

              > Ok, with some sleuthing through aprs.fi, I've established:
              >
              > K7RBW - UI-View via TCP, and not very recently
              > K7RBW-1 - APRSIS32 running a non-verified connection to APRS-IS (you
              > need a passcode)
              > K7RBW-7 - APY008 implies the VX-8R
              > K7RBW-9 - AP0T21 implies the T2
              > K7RBW-14 - APT3A2 must be the AOI?
              >
              > So, did you get a popup from APRSIS32 about having an unverified
              > connection? You need to e-mail me at KJ4ERJ@... and I'll give you
              > one. Or just copy the network password from your old UI-View
              > installation if it's still around. That will solve the IGating issue.
              >
              > If you edit your APRSIS32.XML file
              > (http://aprsisce. wikidot.com/ editing-xml- configuration) and set
              > <Update.Development > to 1, the About box will offer you a new version.
              > In that version, you can open up the Enables / View Logs / KISS to see
              > whats coming and going via the KISS Interface. Enables / View Logs /
              > Packets will show you all RF and IS packets running through the client.
              > This can help you verify what the T2 is and is not decoding relative to
              > what you see on AGW and/or the VX-8R.
              >
              > Even without upgrading to the latest development release, the scrolling
              > station log in APRSIS32 should show you each packet received via KISS
              > with a * next to it. If you configure your Range to be 0 and leave out
              > any other filter string, you should only see traffic coming in via RF.
              > (Note that you might have to disable and enable APRS-IS to get the
              > previous filter completely cleared).
              >
              > In my experience, there's no comparison to the decoding abilities of
              > AGWPEpro. I've held it up against D7s, TinyTrak4, T2-135s, and OT2m and
              > AGW consistently decodes every packet from those TNCs and throws in
              > several more for good measure. Hardware, it seems, just can't rival the
              > power of a software decoder.

              > PS. To download your own free copy of APRSIS32, join the APRSISCE Yahoo
              > Group at:
              >
              > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/APRSISCE/

            • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1 12:20 PM
                The Pro version has a Tuning Aid with which you can readily see the
                deviation of signals. I find it quite useful.

                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                Fred Hillhouse wrote:

                > Does AGWPE do deviation measurements?
                >
                > Thanks!
                > Fred

              • Fred Hillhouse
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1 1:43 PM
                  Cool! I will have to re-visit it!

                  Thanks!
                  Fred

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 1 5:38 PM
                    I tuned in the deviation using the sound card tuner of AGWPE until I got a clean tone on each frequency. That seems to help a bunch. At least I'm getting about 3/5 of the packets now. Some of the lost packets could be attributed to collisions, but some are still coming in clear on the AGWPE monitor while not showing up in the Tracker 2.

                    Adding the EQ jumper to the T2 (which I believe removes the EQ) seems to help.

                    As far as the TXDelay goes, configuration of that value is disabled in my MTAIOConfig program.

                    I'm still stumbling around...
                    -- bob
                    K7RBW

                    > Bob K7RBW wrote...
                    >
                    > > 5) Beacon 2 - Byonics AIO beacon. These packets get digipeated
                    > > intermitently. Maybe 1/10 of the time but not with any obvious pattern.
                    >
                    > How is the deviation and TXdelay on the AIO? If you don't have
                    > a deviation meter, an experienced ear should be able to tell if it
                    > was very high or very low. Long and short transmit delays are
                    > also easy to tell by ear.
                    >
                    > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                  • Alan
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 2 4:32 PM
                      I don't think I've ever heard a MT AIO that didn't sound like the TX dev was flat topping on the limiter (WAY too loud). They always have TX delay waaaay too long, at least half a second. My OT2's have a hard time decoding them too.

                      The advanced AIO config (download from byonics) will let you turn TX delay to a sane delay, like 120MS to 180MS max. The TX level is controlled with a pot.

                      If you are routing "speaker" audio into the sound card the tones should be about the same level. If the low tone is at a higher level than the high tone many digis will have trouble decoding it. The tones should be a smooth round shape, no flat tops, or buzz saw. That was a good idea using AGWE to look at your wave form;-)

                      The link below is a MT AIO that wandered into my area. The user had cranked the TX dev pot up. He did turn it down after I contacted him, but it still sounds too loud.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StLHPvVUX5c

                      Short packets win, long packets get clobbered. Your AIO looks good with MicE and status only sent about once every 10 beacons.

                      You can also test how well digis decode you by programming your path to a nearby digis call sign. Make adjustments until it starts to receive you well. Remove WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 and put a nearby digis call in (N7JEX-10) Test if it digis your problem Tracker.

                      Good luck,
                      Alan

                      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "k7rbw" <flyboy_pa34@...> wrote:

                      > I tuned in the deviation using the sound card tuner of AGWPE until I got a clean tone on each frequency. That seems to help a bunch. At least I'm getting about 3/5 of the packets now. Some of the lost packets could be attributed to collisions, but some are still coming in clear on the AGWPE monitor while not showing up in the Tracker 2.
                      >
                      > Adding the EQ jumper to the T2 (which I believe removes the EQ) seems to help.
                      >
                      > As far as the TXDelay goes, configuration of that value is disabled in my MTAIOConfig program.
                      >
                      > I'm still stumbling around...
                      > -- bob
                      > K7RBW
                      >
                      > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Bob K7RBW wrote...
                      > >
                      > > > 5) Beacon 2 - Byonics AIO beacon. These packets get digipeated
                      > > > intermitently. Maybe 1/10 of the time but not with any obvious pattern.
                      > >
                      > > How is the deviation and TXdelay on the AIO? If you don't have
                      > > a deviation meter, an experienced ear should be able to tell if it
                      > > was very high or very low. Long and short transmit delays are
                      > > also easy to tell by ear.
                      > >
                      > > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                      > > --
                      > > "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"

                    • k7rbw
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 2 7:52 PM
                        Thanks for the tips.

                        I found a later version of the MT AIO config that allows changing the TX Delay and the T2 seems to be repeating it with greater regularity. (Look for K7RBW-14).

                        RE adjusting the AIO's Deviation: I actually tuned it using the audio spectrum analyzer using the individual tones. First I turned on the low tone and tweaked the Dev pot to find where the low tone was "purest." Tweaking the Dev. Pot would cause a high tone to come in and out of the spectrum while sending a low tone so I adjusted the pot such that the low tone didn't send out any high tone. Then I checked the high tone and it was slightly lower than the low tone so I figured that was as good as I could get without any other instrumentation. I've also used digipan's waterfall to tweak and test the output. (One of these days I'll get some real test equipment :)

                        It still sounds a bit strong, but at least it's cleaner.

                        Thanks again for the tips!

                        --bob
                        K7RBW

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 3 5:27 AM
                          Bob K7RBW wrote...

                          > As far as the TXDelay goes, configuration of that value is
                          > disabled in my MTAIOConfig program.

                          When you listen to the transmitted tones, does it sound like
                          the transmit delay is very short?

                          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                        • k7rbw
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 3 4:12 PM
                            It's a lot shorter, now.

                            I found the later version of the config program and I lowered the time from 500 mS to 120mS.

                            As was pointed out, shorter, cleaner packets are better than longer, sloppy ones.

                            It seems to be doing much better now after the recent tweaks.

                            --bob
                            K7RBW