blocking a call sign from i-gate

  • Ron K7CDL
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 30, 2010
      i have one person that does nothing but hammer the system and has been tould about it sience last year and still no fix. how do i block a call sign to not allow them into the system? is there anyway to block them out of the tracker so it doesnt digi and it doesnt even allow it into the KISS mode?
      Ron
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 30, 2010
        On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Ron K7CDL
        <wyoming_semi_driver@...> wrote:

        > i have one person that does nothing but hammer the system and has
        > been tould about it sience last year and still no fix.

        Not much you can do except try to educate.

        > how do i block a call sign to not allow them into the system?

        You can't. Anyone can transmit a signal on 144.390, and you can not
        stop the transmissions from coming out of the station without
        physically shutting the station down.

        > is there anyway to block them out of the tracker so it doesnt digi
        > and it doesnt even allow it into the KISS mode?

        Are you running a mobile digipeater? Shut off digipeating, and you
        won't digipeat the station.

        You'll need to change the frequency in your unit to really put the
        thing into ignore mode.

        You're not going to be able to do much to affect the operation of this
        other station. He's pumping out packets once every 60 seconds, 24
        hours a day, and running his own i-gate.

        You could stoop below his level, and drop a millwatt output APRS
        station on his doorstep, pumping packets out every few seconds,
        swamping the input to his i-gate, so that it can't hear anything else.
        When he notices, you might be able to negotiate a truce.

        Oops, did I say that in my outside voice?

      • wyoming_semi_driver@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 30, 2010
          running ui-view. running tracker2 OT2m. emailed directly with more information. I-gate is W7QQA-2.

          Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 8:41 PM
          Subject: Re: [tracker2] blocking a call sign from i-gate

          <wyoming_semi_ driver@hotmail. com> wrote:

          > i have one person that does nothing but hammer the system and
          has
          > been tould about it sience last year and still no fix.

          Not much you can do except try to educate.

          > how do i block a call sign to
          not allow them into the system?

          You can't. Anyone can transmit a signal on 144.390, and you can not
          stop the transmissions from coming out of the station without
          physically shutting the station down.

          > is there
          anyway to block them out of the tracker so it doesnt digi
          > and it doesnt
          even allow it into the KISS mode?

          Are you running a mobile digipeater? Shut off digipeating, and you
          won't digipeat the station.

          You'll need to change the frequency in your unit to really put the
          thing into ignore mode.

          You're not going to be able to do much to affect the operation of this
          other station. He's pumping out packets once every 60 seconds, 24
          hours a day, and running his own i-gate.

          You could stoop below his level, and drop a millwatt output APRS
          station on his doorstep, pumping packets out every few seconds,
          swamping the input to his i-gate, so that it can't hear anything else.
          When he notices, you might be able to negotiate a truce.

          Oops, did I say that in my outside voice?

        • Facility 406 DM09
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 30, 2010
            Since he has been informed of the problem he is creating and has failed to
            rectify it, you may report it to the FCC as willful and malicious
            interference with intent to jam. Depending on whether or not the FCC
            inspector got lucky the night before, the trouble maker may be dealt with
            any one of a number of ways, education, restriction on his license and
            operation, cancellation of his license or my favorite, an NAL for $10,000
            per incident per day since he was informed to cease and desist. If he sends
            out a signal once a minute every day for a week, a fine of $10,080,000 may
            get his attention. The FCC usually settles in the $25,000 range for screw
            ups like that.

            Kurt

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 30, 2010
              thanks all I found what I needed.
              K7CDL
              Ron

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 31, 2010
                Nasty, I like it.

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 31, 2010
                  let me make this entire issue clear. I don¬ít have anything against this person directly. I know what setting he needs to changes and how to change it if he would only change it and try to take the help then it would make everyone happy. from what I'm see is its his cornering settings, he just needs to change his SBTTIME settings as it shows in some setup programs or some people call it the turn time. I just wanted to make this clear that I have nothing directly against the person its just been over a year since 5 people have talked to him and if is wiling to listen to people I will hope network back up.  I just wanted to point this out just in case it got back to him.
                  K7CDL
                  Ron

                  > > i have one person that does nothing but hammer the system and
                  has
                  > > been tould about it sience last year and still no fix.
                  >
                  > Not much you can do except try to educate.
                  >
                  > > how do
                  i block a call sign to not allow them into the system?

                  > You
                  can't. Anyone can transmit a signal on 144.390, and you can not
                  > stop the
                  transmissions from coming out of the station without
                  > physically shutting
                  the station down.

                  > > is there anyway to block them out of the
                  tracker so it doesnt digi
                  > > and it doesnt even allow it into the KISS
                  mode?

                  > Are you running a mobile digipeater? Shut off
                  digipeating, and you
                  > won't digipeat the station.
                  >
                  > You'll
                  need to change the frequency in your unit to really put the
                  > thing into
                  ignore mode.

                  > You're not going to be able to do much to affect
                  the operation of this
                  > other station. He's pumping out packets once every
                  60 seconds, 24
                  > hours a day, and running his own i-gate.

                  You could stoop below his level, and drop a millwatt output APRS
                  > station
                  on his doorstep, pumping packets out every few seconds,
                  > swamping the
                  input to his i-gate, so that it can't hear anything else.
                  > When he
                  notices, you might be able to negotiate a truce.

                  > Oops, did I
                  say that in my outside voice?

                  > James

                  VE6SRV

                • djhuff@rockwellcollins.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 31, 2010
                    NOTE:
                    You indicated using UI-view.  You should look into the Budlist or excludes settings, you can set a digipeater to ignore specific callsigns.  You might also want to investigate what the do in LA.  Reportedly, the Los Angeles area is so heavy with APRS traffic that they have figured out a digi strategy.  It entails modifying ANY APRS traffic digipeater path to 1 echo off of a digi, then done. There is a digi for dummies settings I have used in the past.  It trapped the WIDE7-7 somebody had, and only would digi 1 time.
                    (somebody archived Hasan's email onto the web) <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ajmckinnon/UI-view-digi_US.txt>

                    If you are using UI-view, you can also exclude other types of stations, for instance "TFC_" blocks the UItraffic reports.  (If I want to know how many APRS messages are sent 300 miles away, I will use the INTERNET for that, sending those reports out across digis is a waste of airtime)

                    <wyoming_semi_driver@...>
                    Sent by: tracker2@yahoogroups.com

                    03/31/2010 08:33 AM

                    Please respond to
                    tracker2@yahoogroups.com

                    <tracker2@yahoogroups.com>
                    cc
                    Subject
                    Re: [tracker2] Re: blocking a call sign from i-gate

                    let me make this entire issue clear. I don’t have anything against this person directly. I know what setting he needs to changes and how to change it if he would only change it and try to take the help then it would make everyone happy. from what I'm see is its his cornering settings, he just needs to change his SBTTIME settings as it shows in some setup programs or some people call it the turn time. I just wanted to make this clear that I have nothing directly against the person its just been over a year since 5 people have talked to him and if is wiling to listen to people I will hope network back up.  I just wanted to point this out just in case it got back to him.