Re: [tracker2] Nuvi 205

  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 8 1:11 PM
      All Nuvi's other than the 350 display breadcrumb trails for mobile APRS
      stations. ONLY the Nuvi 350 does it "right" as we APRS users would
      consider it. The wiki does give you the full details.

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Owner/operator of two T2-135/Nuvi 350s combinations

      Paul Vittorino wrote:

      > I would point you to the wiki page:
      > <http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Garmin_FMI>.
      >
      > Paul
      >
      > On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 4:47 AM, ww5rm <ww5rm@...
      > <mailto:ww5rm@...>> wrote:
      >
      > Hello,
      >
      > Has anyone had any experience with the Garmin Nuvi 205 and Fleet
      > Management? Does it output like the Nuvi 350?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Randall

      > tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

    • Paul Vittorino
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 8 1:22 PM
        When I added the nuvi 12xx and 13xx/14xx to the wiki, I specified that they did not support updating waypoints. This is not completely true. The new FMI protocol does support waypoint creation, but the T2 software with that support is still in beta (Scott: correct me if I'm wrong).

        Paul

        Paul Vittorino wrote:

        > I would point you to the wiki page:
        > <http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Garmin_FMI>.
        >
        > Paul
        >
        > On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 4:47 AM, ww5rm <ww5rm@...
        > <mailto:ww5rm@...>> wrote:
        >
        >     Hello,
        >
        >     Has anyone had any experience with the Garmin Nuvi 205 and Fleet
        >     Management? Does it output like the Nuvi 350?
        >
        >     Thanks
        >
        >     Randall

        >        tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
        >     <mailto:tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com>

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
           tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 8 1:37 PM
          It's still in beta. The trouble with the new FMI 2.5 firmware is that
          it doesn't automatically update the map, and it doesn't show waypoint
          names unless you select a station. I haven't had any luck so far
          getting anyone to change that.

          FMI 2.5 *does* allow automatic waypoint expiration, though, which is
          pretty cool.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 8 1:41 PM
            Scott Miller wrote:
            > it doesn't automatically update the map, and it doesn't show waypoint
            > names unless you select a station. I haven't had any luck so far
            > getting anyone to change that.
            >
            > FMI 2.5 *does* allow automatic waypoint expiration, though, which is
            > pretty cool.

            So, two steps backwards and one step forward at this point?

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 8 1:45 PM
              On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
              <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

              > All Nuvi's other than the 350 display breadcrumb trails for mobile APRS
              > stations.  ONLY the Nuvi 350 does it "right" as we APRS users would
              > consider it.  The wiki does give you the full details.

              I even added pretty colours to the wiki table so it's easier to
              identify which units are good...

              Green is proper support, yellow is partial support, and red is no support...

              Not much green in the table, so people should get the concept that the
              Nuvi 350 is the beast to use.

            • ww5rm
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 10 1:17 PM
                Interesting!

                I have a couple of 350 and I don't consider the way it handles Mobile stations the ideal by a long shot!!!!! I am constantly bombarded with waypoints full all the time because it adds a extra number to the end of the SSID each time it is heard so to me the bread crumb trail seems to be a better way to go and waypoint expiration sure would help eliminate running out of waypoints.

                So tell me again how the 350 handles it properly? Because I don't see it that way.

                Randall

                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

                > Scott Miller wrote:
                > > it doesn't automatically update the map, and it doesn't show waypoint
                > > names unless you select a station. I haven't had any luck so far
                > > getting anyone to change that.
                > >
                > > FMI 2.5 *does* allow automatic waypoint expiration, though, which is
                > > pretty cool.
                > >

                > So, two steps backwards and one step forward at this point?
                >
                > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

              • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 10 1:25 PM
                  ww5rm wrote:
                  > Interesting!
                  >
                  > I have a couple of 350 and I don't consider the way it handles Mobile stations the ideal by a long shot!!!!! I am constantly bombarded with waypoints full all the time because it adds a extra number to the end of the SSID each time it is heard so to me the bread crumb trail seems to be a better way to go and waypoint expiration sure would help eliminate running out of waypoints.
                  >
                  > So tell me again how the 350 handles it properly? Because I don't see it that way.

                  My Nuvi 350 being fed by a T2-135 embedded in an Alinco DR-135 has a
                  single waypoint for each callsign-SSID. When/if a position packet is
                  heard, the waypoint simply moves to the new location with no duplication
                  at all. As I understand it, this is the only Nuvi to behave this way.
                  All of the other models do what you describe.

                  I don't have my firmware version handy here (it's in the mobile), but
                  are you sure you're running the latest firmware? And (please don't take
                  offense) are you sure they're 350s?

                  Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                  > Randall
                  >

                  > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Scott Miller wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> it doesn't automatically update the map, and it doesn't show waypoint
                  >>> names unless you select a station. I haven't had any luck so far
                  >>> getting anyone to change that.
                  >>>
                  >>> FMI 2.5 *does* allow automatic waypoint expiration, though, which is
                  >>> pretty cool.
                  >>>

                  >> So, two steps backwards and one step forward at this point?
                  >>
                  >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                • Rudy Benner
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 10 2:18 PM
                    Sounds like the behavior  of the Nuvi 360.

                    > I have a couple of 350 and I don't consider the way it handles Mobile stations the ideal by a long shot!!!!! I am constantly bombarded with waypoints full all the time because it adds a extra number to the end of the SSID each time it is heard so to me the bread crumb trail seems to be a better way to go and waypoint expiration sure would help eliminate running out of waypoints.
                    >
                    > So tell me again how the 350 handles it properly? Because I don't see it that way.

                    My Nuvi 350 being fed by a T2-135 embedded in an Alinco DR-135 has a
                    single waypoint for each callsign-SSID. When/if a position packet is
                    heard, the waypoint simply moves to the new location with no duplication
                    at all. As I understand it, this is the only Nuvi to behave this way.
                    All of the other models do what you describe.

                    I don't have my firmware version handy here (it's in the mobile), but
                    are you sure you're running the latest firmware? And (please don't take
                    offense) are you sure they're 350s?

                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                    > Randall
                    >

                    > --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@.. .> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Scott Miller wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> it doesn't automatically update the map, and it doesn't show waypoint
                    >>> names unless you select a station. I haven't had any luck so far
                    >>> getting anyone to change that.
                    >>>
                    >>> FMI 2.5 *does* allow automatic waypoint expiration, though, which is
                    >>> pretty cool.
                    >>>

                    >> So, two steps backwards and one step forward at this point?
                    >>
                    >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                  • Fred Hillhouse
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 10 2:18 PM
                      If you have 50 stations come to the 350 then you use up 50 waypoints. But if those same 50 stations are moving and generate 10 position each, then you use up 500 waypoints. Clearly the first is best and that is where the 350 comes in. It does the first and is currently the best.

                      Ideal GPS, there is none, sorry!

                      I have recently added a laptop for mobile use and hopefully the waypoint issue will become moot for me. Check out APRSIS32 running on a ultra mobile. I have mine (not really an ultramobile but close) running and it is really awesome!

                      Best regards,
                      Fred

                      I have a couple of 350 and I don't consider the way it handles Mobile stations the ideal by a long shot!!!!! I am constantly bombarded with waypoints full all the time because it adds a extra number to the end of the SSID each time it is heard so to me the bread crumb trail seems to be a better way to go and waypoint expiration sure would help eliminate running out of waypoints.

                      So tell me again how the 350 handles it properly? Because I don't see it that way.

                      Randall

                      --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@.. .> wrote:

                      > Scott Miller wrote:
                      > > it doesn't automatically update the map, and it doesn't show waypoint
                      > > names unless you select a station. I haven't had any luck so far
                      > > getting anyone to change that.
                      > >
                      > > FMI 2.5 *does* allow automatic waypoint expiration, though, which is
                      > > pretty cool.
                      > >

                      > So, two steps backwards and one step forward at this point?
                      >
                      > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                    • Fred Hillhouse
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 10 2:24 PM
                        Let's try this again! Fingers got faster than brain.

                        If you have 50 stations come to the Nuvi350 then you use up 50 waypoints.

                        But on all other Nuvis, if those same 50 stations are moving and generate 10 position each, then you use up 500 waypoints.

                        Clearly the first is best and that is where the Nuvi350 comes in. It does the first and is currently the best.

                        Best regards,
                        Fred

                        I have a couple of 350 and I don't consider the way it handles Mobile stations the ideal by a long shot!!!!! I am constantly bombarded with waypoints full all the time because it adds a extra number to the end of the SSID each time it is heard so to me the bread crumb trail seems to be a better way to go and waypoint expiration sure would help eliminate running out of waypoints.

                        So tell me again how the 350 handles it properly? Because I don't see it that way.

                        Randall

                        --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@.. .> wrote:

                        > Scott Miller wrote:
                        > > it doesn't automatically update the map, and it doesn't show waypoint
                        > > names unless you select a station. I haven't had any luck so far
                        > > getting anyone to change that.
                        > >
                        > > FMI 2.5 *does* allow automatic waypoint expiration, though, which is
                        > > pretty cool.
                        > >

                        > So, two steps backwards and one step forward at this point?
                        >
                        > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                      • Keith VE7GDH
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 10 2:33 PM
                          Randall WW5RM wrote...

                          > I have a couple of 350 and I don't consider the way it handles
                          > Mobile stations the ideal by a long shot!!!!! I am constantly
                          > bombarded with waypoints full all the time because it adds
                          > a extra number to the end of the SSID each time it is heard
                          >so to me the bread crumb trail seems to be a better way to go
                          > and waypoint expiration sure would help eliminate running
                          > out of waypoints.

                          I have never heard of a Nuvi 350 connected with an FMI cable
                          to an OT2m / T2-135 / T2-301 doing what you are describing.
                          The Nuvi 350 properly handles waypoint upload... i.e. you don't
                          end up with a "breadcrumb" trail of waypoints with a different
                          number tagged on the end. The non 350 Nuvis give you the
                          breadcrumb trail as you are describing. I don't know if it's true,
                          but perhaps you have a very old firmware version in the 350
                          and it needs to be updated.

                          > So tell me again how the 350 handles it properly? Because
                          > I don't see it that way.

                          In my experience, it doesn't do what you are describing.

                          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH