Re: [tracker2] Nuvi 205

  • Paul Vittorino
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 8, 2010
      I would point you to the wiki page: <http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Garmin_FMI>.

      Paul

      On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 4:47 AM, ww5rm <ww5rm@...> wrote:
      Hello,

      Has anyone had any experience with the Garmin Nuvi 205 and Fleet Management? Does it output like the Nuvi 350?

      Thanks

      Randall

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
         tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 8, 2010
        All Nuvi's other than the 350 display breadcrumb trails for mobile APRS
        stations. ONLY the Nuvi 350 does it "right" as we APRS users would
        consider it. The wiki does give you the full details.

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Owner/operator of two T2-135/Nuvi 350s combinations

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 8, 2010
          When I added the nuvi 12xx and 13xx/14xx to the wiki, I specified that they did not support updating waypoints. This is not completely true. The new FMI protocol does support waypoint creation, but the T2 software with that support is still in beta (Scott: correct me if I'm wrong).

          Paul

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 8, 2010
            It's still in beta. The trouble with the new FMI 2.5 firmware is that
            it doesn't automatically update the map, and it doesn't show waypoint
            names unless you select a station. I haven't had any luck so far
            getting anyone to change that.

            FMI 2.5 *does* allow automatic waypoint expiration, though, which is
            pretty cool.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 8, 2010
              Scott Miller wrote:
              > it doesn't automatically update the map, and it doesn't show waypoint
              > names unless you select a station. I haven't had any luck so far
              > getting anyone to change that.
              >
              > FMI 2.5 *does* allow automatic waypoint expiration, though, which is
              > pretty cool.

              So, two steps backwards and one step forward at this point?

              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 8, 2010
                On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

                > All Nuvi's other than the 350 display breadcrumb trails for mobile APRS
                > stations.  ONLY the Nuvi 350 does it "right" as we APRS users would
                > consider it.  The wiki does give you the full details.

                I even added pretty colours to the wiki table so it's easier to
                identify which units are good...

                Green is proper support, yellow is partial support, and red is no support...

                Not much green in the table, so people should get the concept that the
                Nuvi 350 is the beast to use.

              • ww5rm
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
                  Interesting!

                  I have a couple of 350 and I don't consider the way it handles Mobile stations the ideal by a long shot!!!!! I am constantly bombarded with waypoints full all the time because it adds a extra number to the end of the SSID each time it is heard so to me the bread crumb trail seems to be a better way to go and waypoint expiration sure would help eliminate running out of waypoints.

                  So tell me again how the 350 handles it properly? Because I don't see it that way.

                  Randall

                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

                  > Scott Miller wrote:
                  > > it doesn't automatically update the map, and it doesn't show waypoint
                  > > names unless you select a station. I haven't had any luck so far
                  > > getting anyone to change that.
                  > >
                  > > FMI 2.5 *does* allow automatic waypoint expiration, though, which is
                  > > pretty cool.
                  > >

                  > So, two steps backwards and one step forward at this point?
                  >
                  > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
                    ww5rm wrote:
                    > Interesting!
                    >
                    > I have a couple of 350 and I don't consider the way it handles Mobile stations the ideal by a long shot!!!!! I am constantly bombarded with waypoints full all the time because it adds a extra number to the end of the SSID each time it is heard so to me the bread crumb trail seems to be a better way to go and waypoint expiration sure would help eliminate running out of waypoints.
                    >
                    > So tell me again how the 350 handles it properly? Because I don't see it that way.

                    My Nuvi 350 being fed by a T2-135 embedded in an Alinco DR-135 has a
                    single waypoint for each callsign-SSID. When/if a position packet is
                    heard, the waypoint simply moves to the new location with no duplication
                    at all. As I understand it, this is the only Nuvi to behave this way.
                    All of the other models do what you describe.

                    I don't have my firmware version handy here (it's in the mobile), but
                    are you sure you're running the latest firmware? And (please don't take
                    offense) are you sure they're 350s?

                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                    > Randall
                    >

                    > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Scott Miller wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> it doesn't automatically update the map, and it doesn't show waypoint
                    >>> names unless you select a station. I haven't had any luck so far
                    >>> getting anyone to change that.
                    >>>
                    >>> FMI 2.5 *does* allow automatic waypoint expiration, though, which is
                    >>> pretty cool.
                    >>>

                    >> So, two steps backwards and one step forward at this point?
                    >>
                    >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                  • Rudy Benner
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
                      Sounds like the behavior  of the Nuvi 360.

                      > I have a couple of 350 and I don't consider the way it handles Mobile stations the ideal by a long shot!!!!! I am constantly bombarded with waypoints full all the time because it adds a extra number to the end of the SSID each time it is heard so to me the bread crumb trail seems to be a better way to go and waypoint expiration sure would help eliminate running out of waypoints.
                      >
                      > So tell me again how the 350 handles it properly? Because I don't see it that way.

                      My Nuvi 350 being fed by a T2-135 embedded in an Alinco DR-135 has a
                      single waypoint for each callsign-SSID. When/if a position packet is
                      heard, the waypoint simply moves to the new location with no duplication
                      at all. As I understand it, this is the only Nuvi to behave this way.
                      All of the other models do what you describe.

                      I don't have my firmware version handy here (it's in the mobile), but
                      are you sure you're running the latest firmware? And (please don't take
                      offense) are you sure they're 350s?

                      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                      > Randall
                      >

                      > --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@.. .> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Scott Miller wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> it doesn't automatically update the map, and it doesn't show waypoint
                      >>> names unless you select a station. I haven't had any luck so far
                      >>> getting anyone to change that.
                      >>>
                      >>> FMI 2.5 *does* allow automatic waypoint expiration, though, which is
                      >>> pretty cool.
                      >>>

                      >> So, two steps backwards and one step forward at this point?
                      >>
                      >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                    • Fred Hillhouse
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
                        If you have 50 stations come to the 350 then you use up 50 waypoints. But if those same 50 stations are moving and generate 10 position each, then you use up 500 waypoints. Clearly the first is best and that is where the 350 comes in. It does the first and is currently the best.

                        Ideal GPS, there is none, sorry!

                        I have recently added a laptop for mobile use and hopefully the waypoint issue will become moot for me. Check out APRSIS32 running on a ultra mobile. I have mine (not really an ultramobile but close) running and it is really awesome!

                        Best regards,
                        Fred

                        I have a couple of 350 and I don't consider the way it handles Mobile stations the ideal by a long shot!!!!! I am constantly bombarded with waypoints full all the time because it adds a extra number to the end of the SSID each time it is heard so to me the bread crumb trail seems to be a better way to go and waypoint expiration sure would help eliminate running out of waypoints.

                        So tell me again how the 350 handles it properly? Because I don't see it that way.

                        Randall

                        --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@.. .> wrote:

                        > Scott Miller wrote:
                        > > it doesn't automatically update the map, and it doesn't show waypoint
                        > > names unless you select a station. I haven't had any luck so far
                        > > getting anyone to change that.
                        > >
                        > > FMI 2.5 *does* allow automatic waypoint expiration, though, which is
                        > > pretty cool.
                        > >

                        > So, two steps backwards and one step forward at this point?
                        >
                        > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                      • Fred Hillhouse
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
                          Let's try this again! Fingers got faster than brain.

                          If you have 50 stations come to the Nuvi350 then you use up 50 waypoints.

                          But on all other Nuvis, if those same 50 stations are moving and generate 10 position each, then you use up 500 waypoints.

                          Clearly the first is best and that is where the Nuvi350 comes in. It does the first and is currently the best.

                          Best regards,
                          Fred

                          I have a couple of 350 and I don't consider the way it handles Mobile stations the ideal by a long shot!!!!! I am constantly bombarded with waypoints full all the time because it adds a extra number to the end of the SSID each time it is heard so to me the bread crumb trail seems to be a better way to go and waypoint expiration sure would help eliminate running out of waypoints.

                          So tell me again how the 350 handles it properly? Because I don't see it that way.

                          Randall

                          --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@.. .> wrote:

                          > Scott Miller wrote:
                          > > it doesn't automatically update the map, and it doesn't show waypoint
                          > > names unless you select a station. I haven't had any luck so far
                          > > getting anyone to change that.
                          > >
                          > > FMI 2.5 *does* allow automatic waypoint expiration, though, which is
                          > > pretty cool.
                          > >

                          > So, two steps backwards and one step forward at this point?
                          >
                          > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                        • Keith VE7GDH
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 10, 2010
                            Randall WW5RM wrote...

                            > I have a couple of 350 and I don't consider the way it handles
                            > Mobile stations the ideal by a long shot!!!!! I am constantly
                            > bombarded with waypoints full all the time because it adds
                            > a extra number to the end of the SSID each time it is heard
                            >so to me the bread crumb trail seems to be a better way to go
                            > and waypoint expiration sure would help eliminate running
                            > out of waypoints.

                            I have never heard of a Nuvi 350 connected with an FMI cable
                            to an OT2m / T2-135 / T2-301 doing what you are describing.
                            The Nuvi 350 properly handles waypoint upload... i.e. you don't
                            end up with a "breadcrumb" trail of waypoints with a different
                            number tagged on the end. The non 350 Nuvis give you the
                            breadcrumb trail as you are describing. I don't know if it's true,
                            but perhaps you have a very old firmware version in the 350
                            and it needs to be updated.

                            > So tell me again how the 350 handles it properly? Because
                            > I don't see it that way.

                            In my experience, it doesn't do what you are describing.

                            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH