Re: [tracker2] Can't Send APRS Messages

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2010
      On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Craig Leventhal <craigjl1965@...> wrote:

      > Is there some settings that I can check or need to be change on the
      > Tracker2 or the Nuvi 350 to get APRS messaging function working?

      Have you tried sending messages? If so, what did you do to try to send
      the messages?

      You've given a great deal of background information, except for
      whether you can see APRS stations on your Nuvi, and whether you have
      attempted to send APRS messages, and the technique used to attempt to
      send those messages.

    • nb7o
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2010
        Hi Craig,

        What address are you sending messages to? other callsigns or internet addresses?

        Do you have a digipeater in the area set up to accept messages?

        73 de kevin/NB7O

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Craig Leventhal <craigjl1965@...> wrote:

        > I have the Tracker2 model OT2m connected to a Garmin Nuvi 350 with a FMI cable, and the Tracker2 is hooked to a Radio Shack HTX-252. The Nuvi 350 is in Fleet mode. The Tracker is set to use Port A, 9600 Baud, Garmin Mode. I'm seeing my station on aprs.fi  (KI6WLP-2) and the Nuvi 350 seems to be talking to the Tracker2, I can send the --version command and I get a message back with the version number on the Nuvi 350, BUT I can't seem to be able to send nor receive APRS messages.
        >
        > Is there some settings that I can check or need to be change on the Tracker2 or the Nuvi 350 to get APRS messaging function working?
        >

        > 73
        >
        > Craig - KI6WLP

      • Craig Leventhal
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9, 2010
          I was trying to send to another station I had setup for testing in the same room.
          The Tracker2 is is set for KI6WLP-2 and I was trying to send to a test stations�KI6WLP-1 and KI6WLP-3

          The second test staion is a Yaesu VX-8R hooked to a another brand Tracker. I know the�second Tracker works because it shows�up on aprs.fi

          KI6WLP-1 is the ID assigned to another brand of tracker�which is hooked to a�laptop running APRSIS32,�I also had the APRSIS32 software set for KI6WLP-3.

          I do see other stations showing up on the Nuvi 350 and they're in the "Favorites" list.�
          I tried send using the following:

          -KI6WLP-1 TEST

          and also

          -KI6WLP-3 TEST

          Also when the APRSIS32 software on the laptop�is in the RF�mode is can see other APRS station�through the VX-8R, Tracker, and to the laptop. I think maybe once I was able to send from the laptop using RF mode to the Tracker2 and Nuvi 350.

          I thought I can send directly to another APRS station without going through a digipeater, am I mistaken?
          If they're in the same room for testing, could that be causing a problem?

          Craig - KI6WLP
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 9, 2010
            On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Craig Leventhal <craigjl1965@...> wrote:

            > -KI6WLP-1 TEST

            Looks like you are sending the message properly.

            > I thought I can send directly to another APRS station without
            > going through a digipeater, am I mistaken?

            You're good... you should be on 144.390 simplex, direct communication
            is not a problem.

            > If they're in the same room for testing, could that be causing a problem?

            It shouldn't be a problem... are you decoding the other stations
            reliably on each station? If you aren't able to decode positions
            reliably, then I'd look at modulation levels... If you don't get
            reliable positions, you won't get reliable messaging.

          • Patrick
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 10, 2010
              When the tracker tries to send do you hear the audio on the other
              radio? In the same room with a 10/25 watt radio you may be overloading
              the receive on the other radio. Make sure that you're on low power, and
              space the mobile radio's antenna further away, or put it on a dummy load.