Connect an Icom IC-02A to Tracker 2

  • DennisB
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2010
      Howdy,

      I'm about ready to buy some 2.5mm and 3.5mm cables to connect an Icom-02A HT to a Tracker2.

      Has anybody got this combination to work?

      The pinouts I've found show, a .22uf cap going to the mike audio and a 3.3K resistor going to the PPT.

      Are these necessary ??

      Thanks for any help !!!!

      DennisB W7IME
    • Rudy Benner
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 8, 2010
        You just need the cable, the jumper inside the tracker takes care of the PTT components. Its totally painless. Its in the manual.

        You can buy a ready made cable from Byonics or from RPC Electronics http://www.rpc-electronics.com/ ... if your eyes are like mine, you will opt for the ready made cable.

        de Rudy VE3BDR - freshly retired, time to play.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8, 2010
          DennisB wrote:
          > Howdy,
          >
          > I'm about ready to buy some 2.5mm and 3.5mm cables to connect an Icom-02A HT to a Tracker2.

          I've got two IC-2ATs and one IC-02AT. What you are proposing will work
          well for both HTs.

          If you're buying cables with the 2.5mm & 3.5mm plugs already installed,
          i.e. "patch cords", that's what I've done as well. Installing those little
          phone plugs on bare cable is a pain. I bought cables long enough to cut in
          half so I could make two sets.

          > Has anybody got this combination to work?

          I don't have a Tracker2, but it works with my Byonics TT3's and TT4's and
          my IC-2ATs and my (slightly) newer IC-02AT. I'm almost certain the
          Tracker2's radio wiring and signals are pretty much identical.

          > The pinouts I've found show, a .22uf cap going to the mike audio and a 3.3K resistor going to the PPT.
          >
          > Are these necessary ??

          No, the C and R are NOT required with the TT3 and TT4. I don't have the
          Tracker2 schematic handy right now, but I'm almost certain they aren't used
          with it either. Many older full-blown TNCs, such as the MFJ-1270 series do
          require the C and R, which is fairly easy to install in the TNC plug's
          (frequently a DIN-5) backshell.

          > Thanks for any help !!!!
          >
          > DennisB W7IME

          Barry N4MSJ
        • DennisB
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 8, 2010
            Thank you both for your fast replies.

            I wanted to verify that my 22 year old Icom-02AT fit under the statement of 'Most HT's by Icom'.....

            My luck doesn't usually go that way !!!

            Again thanks !!!

            DennisB W7IME
          • Patrick