Re: [tracker2] T2 Programing questions

  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
      wb9sli wrote:
      > Have gotten my T2 several months and have just now had time to get it going and have several questions. I am using it with a Nuvi 350 and all indications are that it is working well.
      >
      > 1. I am trying to change the reply message from the Nuvi "--reply WB9SLI is out and about"
      > it does not seem to accept my command. I can get the reply to "--version" ok in the in
      > box. I did the programming from my computer (XP) for the initial set up but see no menu
      > for many of the commands listed in the manual. Is there another program recommended
      > to program the commands from the computer?

      To send a message, just type -WB9SLI Sorry, I'm out and about. Or if
      you leave off the -ToCall, it will send to the callsign that it last
      received a message from. Of course, it's a good idea to have received a
      message before using that feature!

      > 2. When I send a message from the Nuvi / T2 to my other radio (D700) I get the reply
      > message in my inbox duplicated a total of 3 identical replies. There is a Digi that my
      > be repeating my signal. I get the same duplicates when messaging a friends radio. Any
      > ideas on set up?

      Duplicate messages are routine in APRS. Many clients suppress them,
      some don't. They also happen when acks don't get through. Check out my
      writeup on the amazingness of APRS messaging at
      http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/aprs-messaging-explained

      > Thank! Mike
      > WB9SLI

    • Michael Kaufman
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
        Thanks Lynn:

        I found your link to the explanation of the dup messages very informative and answered my question 2.  On question 1 I was looking to send an automatic reply acknowledgement  to the station that sent me the message.  The tracker 2 is now replying ack E and I would like to change this message and change other settings in the tracker 2 as well.

        Mike

        On Mar 2, 2010, at 7:01 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

        wb9sli wrote:
        > Have gotten my T2 several months and have just now had time to get it going and have several questions. I am using it with a Nuvi 350 and all indications are that it is working well.
        >
        > 1. I am trying to change the reply message from the Nuvi "--reply WB9SLI is out and about"
        > it does not seem to accept my command. I can get the reply to "--version" ok in the in
        > box. I did the programming from my computer (XP) for the initial set up but see no menu
        > for many of the commands listed in the manual. Is there another program recommended
        > to program the commands from the computer?

        To send a message, just type -WB9SLI Sorry, I'm out and about. Or if
        you leave off the -ToCall, it will send to the callsign that it last
        received a message from. Of course, it's a good idea to have received a
        message before using that feature!

        > 2. When I send a message from the Nuvi / T2 to my other radio (D700) I get the reply
        > message in my inbox duplicated a total of 3 identical replies. There is a Digi that my
        > be repeating my signal. I get the same duplicates when messaging a friends radio. Any
        > ideas on set up?

        Duplicate messages are routine in APRS. Many clients suppress them,
        some don't. They also happen when acks don't get through. Check out my
        writeup on the amazingness of APRS messaging at
        http://aprsisce. wikidot.com/ aprs-messaging- explained

        > Thank! Mike
        > WB9SLI

      • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
          Michael Kaufman wrote:
          > I found your link to the explanation of the dup messages very
          > informative and answered my question 2. On question 1 I was looking
          > to send an automatic reply acknowledgement to the station that sent
          > me the message. The tracker 2 is now replying ack E and I would like
          > to change this message and change other settings in the tracker 2 as well.

          Ack E is probably (I haven't looked at your raw packets) the APRS
          message acknowledgment. You wouldn't want to change that or the sender
          will keep sending the message. If the ackXXXX matches the {XXXX
          characters at the end of the original message, that's what it is.

          As for an auto-response, I don't think the Tracker 2 has that. I know
          Kenwood radios do, and it gets quite obnoxious when someone has it on
          and you attempt an APRS messaging QSO with them. Every message you send
          gets the auto-acknowledgment (separate from the APRS ack) and THEN the
          actual response from the operator at the other end. I can appreciate
          auto-responders when cruising down the Interstate, but you'd have to
          remember to clear them for attended operation.

          As far as I know, you can send any of the normal tracker 2 commands from
          the Nuvi's message interface. Just send them as --whatever where
          whatever is the command to do. I routinely play with --info (see how
          many packets have been received).

          As for the rest of the functionality, I'll defer to the T2 developers.

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

          > Mike
          >

          > On Mar 2, 2010, at 7:01 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
          >
          >> wb9sli wrote:
          >> > Have gotten my T2 several months and have just now had time to get
          >> it going and have several questions. I am using it with a Nuvi 350
          >> and all indications are that it is working well.
          >> >
          >> > 1. I am trying to change the reply message from the Nuvi "--reply
          >> WB9SLI is out and about"
          >> > it does not seem to accept my command. I can get the reply to
          >> "--version" ok in the in
          >> > box. I did the programming from my computer (XP) for the initial set
          >> up but see no menu
          >> > for many of the commands listed in the manual. Is there another
          >> program recommended
          >> > to program the commands from the computer?
          >> >

          >> To send a message, just type -WB9SLI Sorry, I'm out and about. Or if
          >> you leave off the -ToCall, it will send to the callsign that it last
          >> received a message from. Of course, it's a good idea to have received a
          >> message before using that feature!
          >>
          >> > 2. When I send a message from the Nuvi / T2 to my other radio (D700)
          >> I get the reply
          >> > message in my inbox duplicated a total of 3 identical replies. There
          >> is a Digi that my
          >> > be repeating my signal. I get the same duplicates when messaging a
          >> friends radio. Any
          >> > ideas on set up?
          >> >

          >> Duplicate messages are routine in APRS. Many clients suppress them,
          >> some don't. They also happen when acks don't get through. Check out my
          >> writeup on the amazingness of APRS messaging at
          >> http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/aprs-messaging-explained
          >> <http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/aprs-messaging-explained>

          >> > Thank! Mike
          >> > WB9SLI

        • Michael Kaufman
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
            Thanks Lynn, a very good point made on the long Acknowledgement
            message which I surly would not want sent out every time a message was
            sent to me. It might be a good thing as you said when traveling on
            the interstate and could not respond. It makes we wander if a
            different reply message could be sent from profile 2 which could
            become active above a certain speed. You got me thinking!!!

            Mike

          • Michael Kaufman
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
              Hi Al:

              Am using the manual from December of 09 and the T2 arrived two days after Christmas Build No 54746
              On Mar 2, 2010, at 6:29 PM, Al Waschka wrote:

              Mike

              What version SW do you have in the T2 and which manual are you using?  I got my T2 in October and it does not support some of the commands in the December version of the manual.  Maybe you need to upgrade your FW.

              Al K5TAN

[...]

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to: