T2 Programing questions

  • wb9sli
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
      Have gotten my T2 several months and have just now had time to get it going and have several questions. I am using it with a Nuvi 350 and all indications are that it is working well.

      1. I am trying to change the reply message from the Nuvi "--reply WB9SLI is out and about"
      it does not seem to accept my command. I can get the reply to "--version" ok in the in
      box. I did the programming from my computer (XP) for the initial set up but see no menu
      for many of the commands listed in the manual. Is there another program recommended
      to program the commands from the computer?

      2. When I send a message from the Nuvi / T2 to my other radio (D700) I get the reply
      message in my inbox duplicated a total of 3 identical replies. There is a Digi that my
      be repeating my signal. I get the same duplicates when messaging a friends radio. Any
      ideas on set up?

      Thank! Mike
      WB9SLI
    • Al Waschka
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
        What version SW do you have in the T2 and which manual are you using?  I got my T2 in October and it does not support some of the commands in the December version of the manual.  Maybe you need to upgrade your FW.

        Al K5TAN

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
            tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
          wb9sli wrote:
          > Have gotten my T2 several months and have just now had time to get it going and have several questions. I am using it with a Nuvi 350 and all indications are that it is working well.
          >
          > 1. I am trying to change the reply message from the Nuvi "--reply WB9SLI is out and about"
          > it does not seem to accept my command. I can get the reply to "--version" ok in the in
          > box. I did the programming from my computer (XP) for the initial set up but see no menu
          > for many of the commands listed in the manual. Is there another program recommended
          > to program the commands from the computer?

          To send a message, just type -WB9SLI Sorry, I'm out and about. Or if
          you leave off the -ToCall, it will send to the callsign that it last
          received a message from. Of course, it's a good idea to have received a
          message before using that feature!

          > 2. When I send a message from the Nuvi / T2 to my other radio (D700) I get the reply
          > message in my inbox duplicated a total of 3 identical replies. There is a Digi that my
          > be repeating my signal. I get the same duplicates when messaging a friends radio. Any
          > ideas on set up?

          Duplicate messages are routine in APRS. Many clients suppress them,
          some don't. They also happen when acks don't get through. Check out my
          writeup on the amazingness of APRS messaging at
          http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/aprs-messaging-explained

          > Thank! Mike
          > WB9SLI

        • Michael Kaufman
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
            Thanks Lynn:

            I found your link to the explanation of the dup messages very informative and answered my question 2.  On question 1 I was looking to send an automatic reply acknowledgement  to the station that sent me the message.  The tracker 2 is now replying ack E and I would like to change this message and change other settings in the tracker 2 as well.

            Mike

            On Mar 2, 2010, at 7:01 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

            wb9sli wrote:
            > Have gotten my T2 several months and have just now had time to get it going and have several questions. I am using it with a Nuvi 350 and all indications are that it is working well.
            >
            > 1. I am trying to change the reply message from the Nuvi "--reply WB9SLI is out and about"
            > it does not seem to accept my command. I can get the reply to "--version" ok in the in
            > box. I did the programming from my computer (XP) for the initial set up but see no menu
            > for many of the commands listed in the manual. Is there another program recommended
            > to program the commands from the computer?

            To send a message, just type -WB9SLI Sorry, I'm out and about. Or if
            you leave off the -ToCall, it will send to the callsign that it last
            received a message from. Of course, it's a good idea to have received a
            message before using that feature!

            > 2. When I send a message from the Nuvi / T2 to my other radio (D700) I get the reply
            > message in my inbox duplicated a total of 3 identical replies. There is a Digi that my
            > be repeating my signal. I get the same duplicates when messaging a friends radio. Any
            > ideas on set up?

            Duplicate messages are routine in APRS. Many clients suppress them,
            some don't. They also happen when acks don't get through. Check out my
            writeup on the amazingness of APRS messaging at
            http://aprsisce. wikidot.com/ aprs-messaging- explained

            > Thank! Mike
            > WB9SLI

          • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
              Michael Kaufman wrote:
              > I found your link to the explanation of the dup messages very
              > informative and answered my question 2. On question 1 I was looking
              > to send an automatic reply acknowledgement to the station that sent
              > me the message. The tracker 2 is now replying ack E and I would like
              > to change this message and change other settings in the tracker 2 as well.

              Ack E is probably (I haven't looked at your raw packets) the APRS
              message acknowledgment. You wouldn't want to change that or the sender
              will keep sending the message. If the ackXXXX matches the {XXXX
              characters at the end of the original message, that's what it is.

              As for an auto-response, I don't think the Tracker 2 has that. I know
              Kenwood radios do, and it gets quite obnoxious when someone has it on
              and you attempt an APRS messaging QSO with them. Every message you send
              gets the auto-acknowledgment (separate from the APRS ack) and THEN the
              actual response from the operator at the other end. I can appreciate
              auto-responders when cruising down the Interstate, but you'd have to
              remember to clear them for attended operation.

              As far as I know, you can send any of the normal tracker 2 commands from
              the Nuvi's message interface. Just send them as --whatever where
              whatever is the command to do. I routinely play with --info (see how
              many packets have been received).

              As for the rest of the functionality, I'll defer to the T2 developers.

              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

              > Mike
              >

              > On Mar 2, 2010, at 7:01 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
              >
              >> wb9sli wrote:
              >> > Have gotten my T2 several months and have just now had time to get
              >> it going and have several questions. I am using it with a Nuvi 350
              >> and all indications are that it is working well.
              >> >
              >> > 1. I am trying to change the reply message from the Nuvi "--reply
              >> WB9SLI is out and about"
              >> > it does not seem to accept my command. I can get the reply to
              >> "--version" ok in the in
              >> > box. I did the programming from my computer (XP) for the initial set
              >> up but see no menu
              >> > for many of the commands listed in the manual. Is there another
              >> program recommended
              >> > to program the commands from the computer?
              >> >

              >> To send a message, just type -WB9SLI Sorry, I'm out and about. Or if
              >> you leave off the -ToCall, it will send to the callsign that it last
              >> received a message from. Of course, it's a good idea to have received a
              >> message before using that feature!
              >>
              >> > 2. When I send a message from the Nuvi / T2 to my other radio (D700)
              >> I get the reply
              >> > message in my inbox duplicated a total of 3 identical replies. There
              >> is a Digi that my
              >> > be repeating my signal. I get the same duplicates when messaging a
              >> friends radio. Any
              >> > ideas on set up?
              >> >

              >> Duplicate messages are routine in APRS. Many clients suppress them,
              >> some don't. They also happen when acks don't get through. Check out my
              >> writeup on the amazingness of APRS messaging at
              >> http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/aprs-messaging-explained
              >> <http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/aprs-messaging-explained>

              >> > Thank! Mike
              >> > WB9SLI

            • Michael Kaufman
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
                Thanks Lynn, a very good point made on the long Acknowledgement
                message which I surly would not want sent out every time a message was
                sent to me. It might be a good thing as you said when traveling on
                the interstate and could not respond. It makes we wander if a
                different reply message could be sent from profile 2 which could
                become active above a certain speed. You got me thinking!!!

                Mike

              • Michael Kaufman
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
                  Hi Al: