Re: [tracker2] Audio frequencies

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2010
      The 300 baud tones have changed a couple of times. In the source code
      it's just a couple of DEFINEs and there are notes on how to set them.
      No one can ever agree on what tones to use for 300 baud, but on SSB it
      doesn't really - you just need to take the offset into account when
      setting the dial frequency.

      Scott

      dj4kh wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > i bought my tracker some weeks ago and finally i found some time to try
      > to set it up together with an IC-706MK II G. I want to use it on HF.
      >
      > Using the main config tool (otwincfg.exe) in the tuning / diagnostics
      > mode i observed that the audio output frequencies differ with the baud
      > settings. When i tick the 1200 baud box the HIGH tone is about 2200 Hz
      > while LOW is 1200 Hz. This complies with the calibration command
      > (tracker manual rev. 12-9-2009, p.29), If i tick the 300 baud box the
      > tones are 2100 Hz for LOW and 2300 Hz for HIGH respectively. I just want
      > to make sure whether this is correct. I would have expected 1600 Hz and
      > 1800 Hz as discribed under "Baud Rate" on p.18.
      >
      > Maybe someone can confirm these settings...
      >
      > regards,
      >
      > Gerd, dj4kh

    • Gerd Steinruecke
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2010
        Scott,

        thanks for your reply. When i got you right the audio tones in the test mode
        are the same as during real operation? So in my case
        1200 / 2200 Hz for 1200 baud and 2100 / 2300 Hz for 300 baud? Sorry, but due
        to a current lack of any measurement equipment in my shack i can't find it
        out on my own and i have to ask this (the single tones were measured with a
        simple DMM).

        If that is the case i could live with it, as you mentioned i just would have
        to tune to another center freq on HF.

        Unfortunately PSK-31 (or even PSK-250 for) doesn't work yet wih the T2m ....

        Best regards
        Gerd
        DJ4KH

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2010
          Or PSK-63 for APRS
          Messenger...http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/cross_country_wireless/

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

          Gerd Steinruecke wrote:
          > Scott,
          >
          > thanks for your reply. When i got you right the audio tones in the test mode
          > are the same as during real operation? So in my case
          > 1200 / 2200 Hz for 1200 baud and 2100 / 2300 Hz for 300 baud? Sorry, but due
          > to a current lack of any measurement equipment in my shack i can't find it
          > out on my own and i have to ask this (the single tones were measured with a
          > simple DMM).
          >
          > If that is the case i could live with it, as you mentioned i just would have
          > to tune to another center freq on HF.
          >
          > Unfortunately PSK-31 (or even PSK-250 for) doesn't work yet wih the T2m ....
          >
          > Best regards
          > Gerd
          > DJ4KH

        • k7rbw
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2010
            If you're trying to test the tone frequencies, you can use the waterfall from DigiPan or HRD. Take the Mike audio from the tracker (what you would normally connect to the mike input on the radio) and plug it into the mike input of your computer you use for PSK-31 (be careful with the PTT signal). You should be able to see the tone frequencies in the waterfall. This won't decode the APRS signal, but it will tell you the tone frequencies; however, not necessarily the amplitude.

            If you have an 2nd radio, you can test your whole transmit chain (Tracker + radio) by taking the audio out of your 2nd radio and using that for the digipan input. This will give you an indication of modulation (not a precise one, but a practical one).

            Just my $.02.

            --Bob
            K7RBW

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 6, 2010
              Yeah, the test tones should be the same as the actual tones. They're
              compiled into the AFSK modulator code.

              Scott