Re: Messaging anomalies - Nope, still sending forever......

  • awaschka@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 18, 2010
      Sorry, my mistake. Go to findu and look at my messages (K5TAN-9). Message was retransmitted roughly every two minutes for 1.5 hours. It only stopped because I powered the system down to re-run the power and data cables to the Nuvi. Later tonight after finishing the rewiring I tried to get a VERSION report out of the system, but I had to delete the old message out of the outbox. Either RETRIES isn't working on messages or the Nuvi is re-sending the message to the OT2. I still think the Nuvi needs to handle a message retrying out as if it was acked by the receiving station to clear out the OUTBOX.

      Al

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "awaschka@..." <awaschka@...> wrote:

      > Scott,
      >
      > With the new Nuvi firmware, RETRIES appears to limit the transmissions where it wasn't with the old firmware. However, when a message is never acked and retries out, it stays in the Nuvi outbox and subsequent messages are not transmitted to the OT2. I think OT2 is not, but needs to, send something to the Nuvi when a message retries out. I verified this by sending a message to a station that was not on the air. It retried out. I then tried a VER command and got no response until I went in and manually deleted the previous message from the outbox.
      >
      > Al
      >

      > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Al Waschka <awaschka@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I did not have the latest FW.  I have now upgraded and will see how that works.

    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 19, 2010
        Al,

        I've been on both the sending and receiving end of this T2 "feature". I
        now routinely keep the Outbox open after sending a message and watch for
        "Sending" to change to a timestamp. If it doesn't, I do my own timeout
        and delete the message then. W4SGC-9 has had one in his outbox for up
        to 2 days with me as a recipient. I notice people driving the area, but
        to receive a message from them about "road closures due to marathon" (on
        Wickham) the whole time they're driving is a it much!

        I'm all for having a firmware update for both the OT2m and T2-135 to
        have this one get better somehow!

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Owner of 2 Nuvi/T2-135 combinations!

        awaschka@... wrote:
        > Sorry, my mistake. Go to findu and look at my messages (K5TAN-9). Message was retransmitted roughly every two minutes for 1.5 hours. It only stopped because I powered the system down to re-run the power and data cables to the Nuvi. Later tonight after finishing the rewiring I tried to get a VERSION report out of the system, but I had to delete the old message out of the outbox. Either RETRIES isn't working on messages or the Nuvi is re-sending the message to the OT2. I still think the Nuvi needs to handle a message retrying out as if it was acked by the receiving station to clear out the OUTBOX.
        >
        > Al
        >

        > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "awaschka@..." <awaschka@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Scott,
        >>
        >> With the new Nuvi firmware, RETRIES appears to limit the transmissions where it wasn't with the old firmware. However, when a message is never acked and retries out, it stays in the Nuvi outbox and subsequent messages are not transmitted to the OT2. I think OT2 is not, but needs to, send something to the Nuvi when a message retries out. I verified this by sending a message to a station that was not on the air. It retried out. I then tried a VER command and got no response until I went in and manually deleted the previous message from the outbox.
        >>
        >> Al
        >>

        >> --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Al Waschka <awaschka@> wrote:
        >>
        >>> I did not have the latest FW. I have now upgraded and will see how that works.

      • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 19, 2010
          Oh, and while we're on the subject of firmware upgrades, would it be
          possible to change the APRS position packet data type if active
          communications with a Nuvi is detected?

          Background: The APRS spec (aprs101.pdf) has 4 different data types for
          position data:

          ! Position without timestamp (no APRS messaging)
          / Position with timestamp (no APRS messaging)
          = Position without timestamp (with APRS messaging)
          @ Position with timestamp (with APRS messaging)

          Right now the T2 family uses ! or /. Would it be possible to have it
          auto-switch to = or @ if a Nuvi is detected? Or give us a configuration
          parameter (I know, firmware space is limited) to broadcast the fact that
          we do messaging? Some APRS clients indicate this visually, increasing
          the chance of an APRS messaging QSO if our stations would advertise the
          support.

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

          PS. My APRSISCE/32 client actually adds an additional menu option for
          stations that support messaging. To send to a Nuvi/T2 combination, I
          have to a) know the station has a Nuvi, and b) copy the callsign into
          the message dialog. (I know, I could "fix" b, but (a) would be really
          nice to know automatically.
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 22, 2010
            Hmm. And you're using the latest T2 firmware? What is RETRIES set to?

            Scott

            awaschka@... wrote:

            > Sorry, my mistake. Go to findu and look at my messages (K5TAN-9).
            > Message was retransmitted roughly every two minutes for 1.5 hours. It
            > only stopped because I powered the system down to re-run the power and
            > data cables to the Nuvi. Later tonight after finishing the rewiring I
            > tried to get a VERSION report out of the system, but I had to delete the
            > old message out of the outbox. Either RETRIES isn't working on messages
            > or the Nuvi is re-sending the message to the OT2. I still think the Nuvi
            > needs to handle a message retrying out as if it was acked by the
            > receiving station to clear out the OUTBOX.
            >
            > Al

            > "awaschka@..." <awaschka@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Scott,
            > >
            > > With the new Nuvi firmware, RETRIES appears to limit the
            > transmissions where it wasn't with the old firmware. However, when a
            > message is never acked and retries out, it stays in the Nuvi outbox and
            > subsequent messages are not transmitted to the OT2. I think OT2 is not,
            > but needs to, send something to the Nuvi when a message retries out. I
            > verified this by sending a message to a station that was not on the air.
            > It retried out. I then tried a VER command and got no response until I
            > went in and manually deleted the previous message from the outbox.
            > >
            > > Al

            > Al Waschka <awaschka@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I did not have the latest FW. I have now upgraded and will see how
            > that works.

          • Al Waschka
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 23, 2010
              I  have the latest Nuvi FW.  I can't relate the information on the firmware history (just release dates) to the response I get to VER, but my unit is Build 54746.

              Al

              awaschka@... wrote:

> [...]
              >  > > > the messaging as follows:
              >  > > >
              >  > > > 1. On first few tries, I got back an indication that a sent
              > message was
              >  > > > acknowledged. Haven't seen that lately.
              >  > > >
              >  > > > 2. A single receive message will come in and be displayed on the
              > Nuvi
              >  > > > multiple times.
              >  > > >
              >  > > > 3. I sent a message yesterday afternoon and today, after over 50
              >  > > > retries, the message is still being sent out. Retries is set to 6.
              >  > > >
              >  > > > 4. When I tried to queue the retries query, it wouldn't go out
              > until I
              >  > > > cleared the old messag in the outbox. It looks like the OT2 is not
              >  > > > acking the message to the Nuvi so the Nuvi keeps sending it.

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 23, 2010
                Use the 'web' button in the config program and grab the latest one.
                It's 55-something.

                Scott

                Al Waschka wrote:

                > I have the latest Nuvi FW. I can't relate the information on the
                > firmware history (just release dates) to the response I get to VER, but
                > my unit is Build 54746.
                >
                > Al

              • Al Waschka
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 23, 2010
                  OK, I now have the latest build OT-2 and the latest Nuvi load and it's still broken.  See my findu (K5TAN-9).  Retries set to 6.  Every message sent is not getting on the web, but there are more than 6.  Nuvi shows the one message and says sending.  If I let it go it will do it all night.  Other units are doing the same thing.  Lynn D. says someone else here in the area overloads him, with multiple messages and Tim D. does the same thing to me.  I've read the FMI ICD and I can't figure out how this is supposed to work.  It doesn't say anything about the Nuvi (client) re-sending messages to the OT2 (server) but I think that is what is happening.  Messages sent to K5TAN are the result of a single message composed in the Nuvi.  Messages sent to K5TAN-1 are from the console.

                  It looks like the OT-2 appends a designator to the message (part of APRS messaging protocol?).  I sent two separate messages to K5TAN-1, test and test1.  Each message retried out after 6 transmissions.  First message was designator ap, second was ba.  So I take from this that the Nuvi originated each of the messages sent to K5TAN that has an incremented designator.  What causes it to do this?  Timeout?  NACK from the OT2?  I can't find this in the FMI ICD.  I'm guessing the Ot2 sends something to the Nuvi when it retries out and that is different from what it sends after a successful delivery.  For example, what is different about -- messages from - messages?  The OT-2 apparently sends something to the Nuvi when it receives a command that results in a date/time on the Nuvi display.  I think it does the same when a message is successfully received by another station.  Whatever it does in those cases, it should do when it retries out.  If the OT-2 is sending the date/time group that gets displayed, maybe it could send all dashes or something when the message is not received.  Mostly blind speculation here, but hopefully there is a relatively simple fix.

                  Also,  I can't tell any difference in output level in a monitor receiver from TXLEVEL 0 to 255.  How much difference should that make?  I would think that 0 would be 0 and 255 would be a different level depending on where the jumper is set.

                  Al

                  Al Waschka wrote:

                  > I  have the latest Nuvi FW.  I can't relate the information on the
                  > firmware history (just release dates) to the response I get to VER, but
                  > my unit is Build 54746.

                  > Al

                • Alan
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 25, 2010
                    Latest Firmware build is 55080.

                    I always delete messages after they have been sent or received, so weird problems don't happen.

                    If I send a message, whether it receives an Ack or not, I delete it after about a minute.

                    Alan
                  • w6dlf
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 26, 2010
                      All I see is Build 55076 using OTWINCFG and "Web". Where did you find Build 55080?

                      Dave

                      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <alan@...> wrote:

                      > Latest Firmware build is 55080.
                      >
                      > I always delete messages after they have been sent or received, so weird problems don't happen.
                      >
                      > If I send a message, whether it receives an Ack or not, I delete it after about a minute.
                      >
                      > Alan

                    • Alan
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 26, 2010
                        Use OTconfig web update.
                      • Dave Flack
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 26, 2010
                          What does that mean, Alan?

                          Dave
                        • Pete Lilja
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 26, 2010
                            I'm not Alan but have recently updated my T2 by simply connecting it to my computer and then clicking on the button in the OT configuration program that goes over the web to grab the latest build version.  It has to be the simplest firmware loader there is - literally one button will get the latest firmware loaded on your T2.

                            Connect your T2 to your computer and run the configuration program.  You'll see the button.

                            Pete
                            KC0GPB

                            On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Dave Flack <daveflack@...> wrote:

                            What does that mean, Alan?

                            Dave

                          • nb7o
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 27, 2010
                              Is there a way to download the file? I know that if I am connected to the internet and the tracker that I can do the download. But if it is not convenient to do that; i.e. remote installation; can we download the file and then install the update when next I am at the remote install?

                              de kevin/NB7O

                              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Pete Lilja <plilja@...> wrote:

                              > I'm not Alan but have recently updated my T2 by simply connecting it to my
                              > computer and then clicking on the button in the OT configuration program
                              > that goes over the web to grab the latest build version. It has to be the
                              > simplest firmware loader there is - literally one button will get the latest
                              > firmware loaded on your T2.
                              >
                              > Connect your T2 to your computer and run the configuration program. You'll
                              > see the button.
                              >
                              > Pete
                              > KC0GPB
                              >
                              > On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Dave Flack <daveflack@...> wrote:
                              >

                              > > What does that mean, Alan?
                              > >
                              > > Dave

                            • Alan
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 28, 2010
                                Bin file:
                                http://www.argentdata.com/support/firmware/ot2-devel.bin

                                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "nb7o" <khedgepe@...> wrote:

                                > Is there a way to download the file?
                                > de kevin/NB7O

                              • Adam Sherman
                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 19, 2010
                                  This the problem with messages staying in the "Sending…" mode forever
                                  supposed to be fixed? I haven't checked all my versions but I'm having
                                  this problem with my brand-new setup running latest Tracker2 firmware.

                                  Thanks,

                                  A.

                                  --
                                  Adam Sherman