9209Re: digipeat own packets when backpacking

  • k7rbw
    Nov 3, 2009
      So, wouldn't the solution to avoid spamming the network be:

      1) turn off the Digi feature while driving and then turn it on when parked.

      2) use a low-gain or directional antenna so that that the range of signals your digi picks up is local. This will minimize what it hears to the area surrounding your car. Pick an antenna gain that matches your local transmitter and the surrounding area.

      Another option would be to crank up the squelch so that only strong, local signals are recieved.

      3) use a high-power transmitter to kick the digipeated packets out to another digipeater or iGate. Adjust the TX power so that the signal goes as far as it needs to, but no more than it has to.

      4) monitor the packets received to see if yours is among those digipeted by the wide2 digi. If you use a WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 path in your beacon (VX-8R) and a WIDE1 digi in your car, your digi should still hear the packets that have been repeated by the WIDE2 digi, but it shouldn't repeat them. Or, you could have someone watching the APRS-IS to see if your packets are showing up in the net.

      5) if you want to be extra conscientious, you could test the area where you park to see if there's already a WIDE1 digi that's covering where you are. e.g. see if the packets sent by the VX-8R are being digipeated by another digipeater. If so, leave your Digipeater off and use the existing one. If not, turn yours on and then it can be the one to fill in wherever you are.

      --bob
      K7RBW

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "kc2eus" <kc2eus@...> wrote:

      > Yeah, this is my quandary .. It's not a problem to turn the digi on and off. I can do that either via the Nuvi or canned messages in the VX8.
      > I just want to make sure my packets make it out of the area I'll be in.
      > I wonder for situations like this it's better to use TEMP or something like that in the PATH. I don't have an issue with others using it.. I just don't want to flood the network with extra traffic.
      > I guess I'm looking for the recommended configuration :)
      >
      > Andrew
      >
      > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)"
      > > Buit if you leave the T2 set up as a WIDE1, you will definitely be
      > > "spamming" the network as you drive it around town. It will be a WIDE1-1
      > > digi full time repeating every WIDE1-1 packet that it hears. Not
      > > recommended configuration.

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic