9186Re: How to deal with GPS drift with OT2?

  • k7ybz
    Nov 2, 2009
      When I originally read your post I was thinking unit sensitivity of the BR-355 compared to Garmin pucks. I had remembered reading the sensitivity of the BR-355 as being around -160 and Garmin around -185.
      Then I went back and looked at the specs again and noticed Garmin specifies their sensitivity as dBW and everyone else specifies it in dBm. There in lies the difference (and another Garmin marketing ploy): 0dBW = +30dBm.

      Ahhh, the numbers game!

      I may have missed where the puck was placed, but the puck is much better off on the roof of the vehicle than on the dash. On some units, the magnet can be removed and mounted directly to a surface. I did not investigate this for your particular unit though.

      Larry
      K7YBZ

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "ki6tsf" <ki6tsf@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > Thank you to all who replied and for all the suggestions!
      >
      > Yes, Static Navigation is a feature built-in in SiRF III-based
      > GPSs and I used SiRFDemo to set it. It is supposed to eliminate
      > drift. I'll check with SiRF directly if they can advise how
      > to tune it.
      >
      > Actually yes, I enabled Track Smoothing too and that didn't help.
      > I have not raised the satellite signal strenght threshold, this is
      > next on my checklist.
      >
      > I set degraded mode and dead reckoning on (I found it really cool
      > to have a GPS receiver that supports those modes!!!). I'll have
      > to try with these features turned off.
      >
      > Anyways I hope a combination of all or some of the suggestions
      > received on this newsgroup will solve that drift problem!
      >
      > Thanks to all,
      >
      > Bernard KI6TSF
      >
      > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Bob Poortinga <bobp+yahoo@> wrote:
      > >
      > > "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@> writes:
      > >
      > > > What do you mean by "Static Navigation"?
      > >
      > > He is probably referring to the "Static Navigation" option that can be
      > > configured for SiRF III GPSs by using the SiRFdemo software.
      > >
      > > I wonder if Bernard has tried "Track Smoothing" or increasing the acceptable
      > > minimum signal satellite strength and turning off degraded mode and dead
      > > reckoning?
      > >
      > > --
      > > Bob Poortinga K9SQL <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
      > > Bloomington, Indiana US