      From: tracker2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:tracker2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of lists@...
      Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2009 14:30
      To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [tracker2] LCD & cable length question

      Tanner,

      When I was developing a similar setup for the new HamHUD, I was playing with this very thing. I was looking for a way to create a data "box" and then remote the LCD to a easy to view spot on the dash or overhead. I found that I could make it work at 3-5 feet MOST of the time. It required well shielded cable and a couple of RF chokes on each end to keep out any stray RF out. This might have also been eliminated by having the antenna spaced further from it, but this was a test bench kind of setup and I really did'nt have a good way to simulate an in-car environment.

      In the end, I decided to place the whole thing inside the box with the LCD. By going all SMT, I effectively "thinned" the whole package to where it is thin enough to mount on a dash flat or even mount overhead (my future plan).

      Jason KE4NYV
      RPC Electronics
      www.rpc-electronics .com