8423Re: [tracker2] Re: 5v buck converter?

  • Jason KG4WSV
    Sep 1, 2009
      On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh
      (Mr)<ldeffenb@...> wrote:
      > And with 12v vehicle power, the efficiency isn't much of a concern,

      Not exactly.

      I used a 7805 to drive a power hog of an old GPS in my old truck. The
      battery (yeah, big honkin' full sized pickup truck battery) lasted
      longer after I stopped operating it 24x7. I don't have data on it,
      but someone made the convincing claim that it would shorten the
      vehicle battery life, that clicked with the shorter-than-expected life
      of my truck battery, and I got an APO. That was the last battery I
      bought before I traded the vehicle.

      The drain is related to current draw (my APO uses a little 7805, and
      it has no noticeable effect), but I suspect a larger draw like the
      ~400mA the original poster mentioned would result in detectable
      shortening of the battery life.

      -Jason
      kg4wsv
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic