8415Re: 5v buck converter?

  • gsdatplace
    Sep 1, 2009
      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Chris Kantarjiev <cak@...> wrote:

      > I'm interested in packing a 5V buck converter into a DE-9 shell, to take 12V in and provide power to
      > the attached GPS - typically 60-80mA, but it would be nice to handle the Nuvi's load of 400mA.
      >
      > Can anyone suggest a simple design or readily available unit?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > 73 de chris K6DBG

      Simplest and cheapest I've found (and I bought everyone I could) Duracell makes a beautifully tiny cigarette lighter to USB charger adapter. 12V in, 5Vdc at up to 1A out. I've taken a couple apart now, one is mounted inside my OT2 (like I said very small switching supply) off the power control output which powers up and down my nuvi based on profile switching or remote commands. Picked them up for $6.99, I'm sure it must have been a pricing mistake (in my favour)
      Belkin makes a tiny one as well.
      http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/04/24/duracell_belkin_usb/

      Garrett
      VE6RKY