7330Re: looking for help to see why my position only randomly shows up on the Nuvi 350

  • nb7o
    Apr 30, 2009
      answers interspersed below.

      Kevin/NB7O

      > Kevin NB7O wrote...
      >
      > > AMODE GRMIN
      >
      > Is your AMODE really GRMIN... not GARMIN?

      No it really is Garmin. To get a good display of settings I took the nuvi off, put the mode into auto, used hyperlink to get the settings. When I looked at the settings I saw that mode was not garmin. I new that if it was not Garmin that many would key in on this and advise me to change mode setting to Garmin. So I manually edited the mode setting in notepad and fat fingered it anyway. hi hi

      > > INTERVAL 60
      > > SMARTBCON OFF
      >
      > Any reason you are beaconing every 60 seconds instead of using
      > SmartBeaconing?

      As I said earlier I didnt think I could get into a digi from out where I was working on the TNC so I shortened the interval to get lots of data. Then set it back to 5 minute interval. smartbcon is off until i get other issues resolved. i dont want to add another unknown to the equation. I run smart beacon in our fifth wheel in a TT3+. That is NB7O

      > > PATH WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2
      >
      > Not a "bad" path but you could try a shorter WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1.
      > http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=NB7O-11&limit=1000
      > It looks like you are hitting an IGate direct all of the time in your
      > (many) recent beacons.
      >
      > > ALIAS 1:WIDE 3:TEMP
      > > USEALIAS 1:ON 2:ON 3:OFF 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
      > > HOPLIMIT 1:0 2:3 3:5 4:0 5:0 6:0 7:0 8:0
      >
      > Are you sometimes running a mobile WIDEn-N digi? The alias WIDE is "on"
      > but HOPLIMIT is zero. I would probably set the HOPLIMIT to 2 but disable
      > it with USEALIAS 1 OFF until needed.

      I had a mobile digi set up. We are out in the desert of Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona alot. i thought having another digi around might help. I was disabling it to take the digi out of the equation. I thought that by setting hop limit to zero it would temporarily shut down the digi. I will follow ur suggestion.

      > As others mentioned, you need to hear a digi echo to show up as a
      > waypoint in the Nuvi. I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless it's
      > a general symptom of a low decoding success rate. More likely,
      > it's more a lack of digis in the area. The closest station that claims
      > to be a digi is 38 miles away.
      > www.findu.com/cgi-bin/near.cgi?call=NB7O-11

      And with the hills between us that is a long 38 miles.

      thanks for the suggestions. I will put them into service tomorrow on the 9 hour drive.

      73 de kevin/NB7O