7250Re: [tracker2] T2 tracker package

    Apr 23, 2009
      Sorry for answering messages out of order, my inbox is a bit of a mess!
      I got through about 150 messages on the plane, but got 400 new ones
      between the time I got on the plane and when I got home.

      The first 4 beta units shipped already. I've got to get some new PCBs
      made before I do any more, though. Those required way too much manual
      assembly. I should have some more units ready in time for Dayton,
      though. I hope. (If anyone knows where I can get 1/16" black Garolite
      G10 cut to size, that'd save me some time - the standard sizes are too
      small to be useful, or too big to fit into my CNC milling machine and
      cutting them down is a pain.)

      You might have already said, but I missed it - what made the GPS mic
      attempt a failure?

      Scott

      Kevin Ratcliff wrote:

      > Scott,
      >
      > It's been a while since I've heard an update about your SAR tracker
      > package project. My SAR team is currently looking into APRS options
      > again after a failed attempt to use a commercial proprietary GPS
      > speaker-mic system for tracking.
      >
      > Any additional information you can provide about estimated pricing and
      > timeframe for availability would be helpful to us. If you don't have
      > this info ready yet that's totally understandable, just let me know. I
      > understand that you have a lot of projects going on at once!
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Kevin
      > KB9MQU
      >
      > On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...
      > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> wrote:
      > > I've been working on my Tracker2 SAR package again:
      > >
      > > http://n1vg.net/images/sar_tracker.jpg
      > <http://n1vg.net/images/sar_tracker.jpg>
      > >
      > > It includes a 5-watt transceiver with integrated Tracker2
      > > (tracker/digipeater/etc), a SiRFstar III GPS receiver with patch
      > > antenna, and an 8xAA battery pack. The whole thing is surrounded by
      > > about 1/4" of rubber padding on the inside, and when you close the latch
      > > it forms a snug fit that keeps everything in place with a good deal of
      > > shock resistance. With some RTV around the base of the antenna, it
      > > should be submersible.
      > >
      > > The pictured unit is mostly a mock-up at the moment, though. All of
      > > those pieces are there, but (aside from the T2 and radio) nothing's
      > > connected. That antenna is a perfect fit, but it happens to have an SMA
      > > connector and not the BNC it needs. The GPS receiver is just dropped in
      > > to test the fit.
      > >
      > > When I'm done, there should be a small control panel with a power LED,
      > > on/off/configuration switch, and a programming/external GPS jack. I'm
      > > still working on how that's going to be laid out.
      > >
      > > I wish the loops were on the sides, to make it easier to strap to a pack
      > > with webbing, but I'm sure I can still work out some kind of mounting
      > > system.
      > >
      > > Scott
      > > N1VG

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic