6336Re: T2 tracker package

  • Rudy Benner
    Feb 2, 2009
      Looks like a winner, very similar to the MT-AIO, but with more
      features. The weak point will be the antenna.

      I have a Comet BNC-24 antenna for my Solar Digi package, with
      provision for a real antenna. The solar digi is fully portable, about
      10# in weight, with provision for external power and solar panels, a
      good charge controller and low voltage disconnect. Its all contained
      in a camera bag. Powerpole connectors of course. This is a prototype
      for local SAR.

      > I've been working on my Tracker2 SAR package again:
      >
      > http://n1vg.net/images/sar_tracker.jpg
      >
      > It includes a 5-watt transceiver with integrated Tracker2
      > (tracker/digipeater/etc), a SiRFstar III GPS receiver with patch
      > antenna, and an 8xAA battery pack. The whole thing is surrounded
      by
      > about 1/4" of rubber padding on the inside, and when you close the
      latch
      > it forms a snug fit that keeps everything in place with a good deal
      of
      > shock resistance. With some RTV around the base of the antenna, it
      > should be submersible.
      >
      > The pictured unit is mostly a mock-up at the moment, though. All
      of
      > those pieces are there, but (aside from the T2 and radio) nothing's
      > connected. That antenna is a perfect fit, but it happens to have
      an SMA
      > connector and not the BNC it needs. The GPS receiver is just
      dropped in
      > to test the fit.
      >
      > When I'm done, there should be a small control panel with a power
      LED,
      > on/off/configuration switch, and a programming/external GPS jack.
      I'm
      > still working on how that's going to be laid out.
      >
      > I wish the loops were on the sides, to make it easier to strap to a
      pack
      > with webbing, but I'm sure I can still work out some kind of
      mounting
      > system.
      >
      > Scott
      > N1VG