4740Re: [tracker2] Nuvi350 "My Locations Memory is Full"

  • Barry L. Lankford
    Sep 4, 2008
      Brent Gay wrote:
      > The ability to set the range of stations (in miles) that populate the Nuvi
      > is a T2 feature...I believe the command is "maxrange" if I remember
      > correctly.
      >
      > I use the Garmin Mappoint to manage my waypoints, so if I need to do a fresh
      > reload I hook it up and just reload my saved favorites. I hardly ever do
      > this though. I never do it due to full memories because I have maxrange set
      > appropriately for my area.
      >
      > It works really well, and I am very happy with the product and the service
      > Scott provides. You will be happy with the T2/Nuvi combo. Be careful

      I think I have to disagree. Since I mentioned in my previous post that I'd
      like to use the Tracker2/Nuvi 350 combo to track balloons and chase teams,
      then I'm sure I would not be happy with it. Balloons have an annoying way
      of traveling outside any reasonable "maxrange" limit, even if you are
      attempting to keep up with it in a car.

      I already have a TH-D7ag and a GPSMAP76CS. The TH-D7ag, which has the "POS
      LIMIT" feature (apparently equivalent to the Tracker2 "maxrange" feature),
      and the GPSMAP76CS, which in this application (tracking moving targets on a
      map) is the equal to the Nuvi 350. Well, to put it simply, they don't do
      it for me.

      Furthermore, I once read a review of the TH-D7ag, and the reviewer pointed
      out that the "POS LIMIT" feature was of very limited value as it didn't (or
      wasn't able to) delete the waypoints as they pass outside the range set by
      the user. He wrote that you'll severely limit your ability to display APRS
      beacons, but will still end up with your waypoint memory full, albeit at a
      slightly slower rate, and a "circle of waypoints" will be left on your
      display at the set "POS LIMIT" value.

      In my own use of the function on my TH-D7ag, I've found that to be
      absolutely true. Even more, if you are using the combo in a moving car,
      your GPS leaves a trail of non-updated waypoints behind you as they pass
      outside the "POS LIMIT" due to your own movement *even* for those waypoints
      from stationary trackers along your way.

      Also, the accumulation of unwanted waypoints, besides getting co-mingled
      with (and difficult to delete from) your own non-APRS waypoints, add
      additional clutter to the display and slow up the screen refresh.

      If I have access to my laptop wherever I'm doing my tracking, I can do as
      you suggest, backup (and restore) my own mostly non-APRS waypoints, but it
      is yet another aggravation that I'd like to avoid, and doesn't address the
      issue of display clutter and slowdown. BTW, there are other workarounds
      such as using APRS Group Names or using a particular waypoint symbol for
      waypoints from the TH-D7 (or Tracker2) so that a group "delete by symbol"
      can quickly delete them, but these workarounds, like nearly all
      workarounds, all have irritations and/or disadvantages of their own.

      > though...I think the only Nuvi that is fully-functional at this point is the
      > Nuvi 350. The other models may leave breadcrumbs as stations as they move.

      Yeah, I suspected that. That is true of other Garmin GPS models as well,
      even some handheld models. It is actually dependent on firmware version in
      some models. The firmware version I'm using in my GPSMAP76CS (v4.00 I
      think) updates existing waypoints with the new position, and doesn't leave
      the trail, essentially "moving" the waypoint. I think there have been two
      updates to the firmware beyond the version I'm using. According to a
      poster in another forum, the newer versions cause a trail of the old
      waypoints (with appended sequence numbers) left behind so I haven't
      uploaded them. Fortunately for me, the other changes added to those newer
      versions, I believe, only affect treatment of names in some foreign
      languages, so I don't need them. Some newer models don't have earlier
      firmware versions that handled updated waypoints in the way the Nuvi 350
      does. Apparently Garmin's programmers had a change of philosophy with
      regard to the method of handling duplicate waypoint names 2 or 3 years ago.
      I think it was a mistake.

      > Search the posts for a listing of compatabilty. Besides you can get some
      > very good deals on the 350 now anyways.
      >
      > Brent, KF4JZY
      >
      > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 8:04 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...>wrote:
      >
      >> I don't know how if many GPS units allow deleting waypoints from the
      >> communication port. It appears Garmin mostly does not. I say mostly because
      >> maybe the newer ones do. That is the first obstacle. The GPS firmware needs
      >> updating. Once the GPS is updated, setting a waypoint age limit would be
      >> nice. I like the time function on APRS.FI.
      >>
      >> Range limit, BUDLIST, etc are all nice features.
      >>
      >> Maybe the best option is a Asus EeePC [cheaper than many GPS units] coupled
      >> with the T2, running XASTIR. The mapping options far outstrip every GPS I
      >> have ever seen. This is the direction I am heading. Since I am not running
      >> XASTIR yet, I don't know if the above features have been implemented.

      Too expensive for my pocketbook since I already have a good mapping GPS and
      two laptops. IIRC, the first two generations of the eeePC have a number of
      limitations to reduce cost and size, so I'd be carful to confirm that it
      has the hardware resources to run a useable installation of XASTIR before
      plunking down the cash. For example, what source of mapping does XASTIR
      use? Is it on a CD/DVD? If so, does the eeePC have a CD/DVD reader or
      sufficient mass memory to hold a good collection of maps? If I remember
      correctly, XASTIR runs natively under Linux, and I believe the first
      versions of the eeePC also run Linux, so you'd probably be OK in that
      regard, but I'd check it to be sure.

      Barry N4MSJ

      >> best regards,
      >> Fred