4733Re: Nuvi350 "My Locations Memory is Full"

  • Margie and Dave
    Sep 4, 2008
      Hi John,
      Tnx for the info, I will try EasyGPS again.

      I assume you connected to a serial port (or USB serial
      adapter)directly, not via null modem crossover.

      That will make it easier to clear the Nuvi map screen of the outdated
      APRS tags. I left the system on for a day or so and the map screen
      was so full of tags. If I zoomed in I could find the exact location OK

      It would be neat if there was a way to clear the Nuvi map of tags that
      were no longer present. Could be quite complicated.
      Dave

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "john paterson jr" <jpaterjr@...> wrote:

      > Dave,
      > Re: EasyGPS
      >
      > I tried EasyGPS with my Nuvi 350 this morning. I was able to view
      all the
      > waypoints in EasyGPS. Also, the delete function appears on a right
      click.
      > You can even make multiple selections and a right click will make
      "delete
      > waypoints" available. I didn't try to actually delete any because I
      don't
      > have any waypoints I want to delete, but you might try it again.
      > I am using Windows XP SP2. In EasyGPS, at menu bar, I selected
      "GPS", then
      > "Display GPS Information". In that dialog box, I added my two gps's,
      Garmin
      > 76C and Nuvi 350. Then after a reboot of the PC, I ran EasyGPS again,
      > Selected GPS, then Display GPS Information, then selected the Nuvi
      350 and
      > clicked OK. Almost immediately the Nuvi waypoints appeared on the
      screen in
      > the lower left-hand window of EasyGPS.
      >
      > Good luck,
      >
      > John Paterson
      > KC5LAA
      >
      > On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 12:58 AM, Margie and Dave <va3dk@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Tnx Fred,
      > > Some success here...
      > > You are right deleting waypoints is a GPS function but with the
      > > Nuvi350 I have to delete from "My Favorites" each location (waypoint)
      > > individually. Quite a daunting challenge. Did a few to stop the
      > > error message tho...
      > > Looked into the Nuvi via the PC but need to understand the file setup
      > > before any tweaking there. Is the Nuvi another canned Linux creation?
      > > Tnx Scott, I set "MAXRANGE" to minimize filling up the memory again.
      > > Rather cuts the map usage to close by areas tho.... Hmmmm a short
      > > sighted Nuvi?
      > > So now I can message to and from other APRS on VHF OK.
      > > Have not found a way to message to APRS guys via the internet like the
      > > D710's do. Any suggestions?
      > > Still meets my interest of mobile monitoring of nearby APRS guys.
      > > Seems to require a bit of tweaking to keep it running. Not quite a
      > > plug and pray tho...
      > > Beacons OK!
      > > After plugging in the Garmin dfata cable the Nuvi does go into FMI
      > > mode. Mine does go into FMI by adding a button called "DESPATCH"
      > > probably their programming was by an off shore guy without a spell
      > > checker on their computer! Oh yes my Nuvi stays in FMI even after the
      > > cables are removed. Very interesting...I thought it would fall back
      > > the former non FMI mode.
      > > Tried EasyGPS only to find out the Nuvi talks only in "Garmin"
      > > protocol not standard NEMA...:-(..lots of manual waypoint deletions to
      > > go yet...
      > > Does anyone have an easier way to remove unwanted
      locations(waypoints)?
      > > Did use the Garmin POI loader to remove a few of the POI lists I had
      > > in the Nuvi. Not sure if this has any effect on Location memory tho...
      > >
      > > Lots to learn and apply.
      > > 73's
      > > Dave.
      > >
      > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>, "Fred
      > > Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I keep a waypoint file so reloading my GPS is easy. First, I
      delete all
      > > > waypoints in GPS [GPS function], then load the waypoints back in.
      > > >
      > > > I use ExpertGPS for waypoint management. EasyGPS is free and without
      > > maps. I
      > > > also have an older GPS V. I do not know how the Nuvi and ExpertGPS
      > > will play
      > > > together. I suspect that using the serial port will work fine. I
      don't
      > > > believe USB GPS connection is supported yet.
      > > >
      > > > I imagine Mapsource can do the same waypoint management function. I
      > > don't
      > > > know. I have it but only use it for loading maps.
      > > >
      > > > Best regards,
      > > > Fred
      > > >

      > > > _____
      > > >
      > > > From: tracker2@yahoogroups.com <tracker2%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:
      > > tracker2@yahoogroups.com <tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>] On
      > > Behalf
      > > > Of Margie and Dave
      > > > Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 22:46
      > > > To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com <tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
      > > > Subject: [tracker2] Re: Nuvi350 "My Locations Memory is Full"
      > > >

      > > > Tnx for the suggestion.
      > > >
      > > > Do you use the PC to delete waypoints?
      > > >
      > > > If so how do you do this?
      > > > TIA.
      > > >
      > > > Dave.
      > > >
      > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroup
      <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com<tracker2%2540yahoogroups.com>

      > > s.com, "Fred

      > > > range.

      <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com<tracker2%2540yahoogroups.com>>
      > > s.com
      > > > [mailto:tracker2@yahoogroup
      <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com<tracker2%2540yahoogroups.com>

      > > s.com] On
      > > > Behalf
      <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com<tracker2%2540yahoogroups.com>>
      > > s.com

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic