3662Re: New Tracker2 not decoding packets very well

  • EM Sharp
    May 4, 2008
      Brent: I presume you are having trouble decoding signals from the
      HTX202, this is obviously a different problem than keying up the
      HTX202 for transmission. You are not alone with the problem of
      decoding HTX202 audio. I tried it here after reading your post and I
      too have very poor results with HTX signals. I would not say "it
      doesn't work at ALL", but it is very sensitive to signal level (both
      audio and rf). Make sure your radio is using some sort of a gain
      antenna/ not a rubber duck, and place the antenna a good distance
      (10-15 feet is not too much) from your computer, particularly the
      display -- it radiates a lot of rf noise and the HTX hears it very
      well. The "S meter" will give a clue to how bad this is.
      Have patience, Scott is pretty much aware of a problem in this
      area and is working on it. The HTX is however a new player in this
      act I was not aware of previously. Thanks for the post.

      <ve7gdh@...<ve7gdh%40yahoo.com>
      > > > <mailto:ve7gdh@... <ve7gdh%40yahoo.com>>> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Brent KF4JZY wrote...

      > > > time with
      > > >
      > > > I know there are people using the HTX-202 but I did a search...
      > > >
      > > > http://www.tigertronics.com/bay_wire.htm#RADIO SHACK
      > > > RADIO SHACK - (HTX-202, HTX-404) Wired the same as ICOM.
      > > > This radio does not receive as well as some others on packet. The
      > > > problem is that the radio's audio frequency response rolls off too
      > > > soon and distorts the high tone...
      > > >
      > > > Also http://www.qrz.com/download/mods-e-h/htx202pk.txt
      > > > *** The file name is htx202pk.txt but the subject says HTX-252
      > > > Subject: Subj: HTX-252 Packet
      > > > This radio wasn't particularly suited to packet use as purchased.
      > > > Transmit was easily decoded by other rigs, but receive audio was,
      > > > shall we say, horrible. Looking at the audio signal it appeared
      > > > that the 1200Hz tone had about 6-12dB more gain than the 2200Hz
      > > > tone when working 1200 AFSK.
      > > >
      > > > To solve this, route the rx signal directly from the FM detector
      > > > directly to the 1/8" speaker jack. The audio signal has a DC
      > > > componant that is blocked by a 470uF/16V electrolytic (radial
      > > > leaded tubular located near the side of the chassis near the
      > > > speaker jack).
      > > >
      > > > Remove the 470uF cap and use one pad to route the rx signal
      > > > from the FM detector (TK10487 pin 11) through a small cap
      > > > (there is a DC bias on pin 11) to the pad connected to the speaker
      > > > jack. I used a .015 from the junk box as it was small enough to
      > > > fit between the PCB and the cover.
      > > >
      > > > The audio can also be reconnected using a axial leaded cap
      > > > (+ to PCB) in the remaining pad (signal from the audio amplifier)
      > > > to provide audio to the speaker (probably the brown wire, other
      > > > side is connected to ground).
      > > >
      > > > Speaker now works, volume/squelch do con control the signal
      > > > to the speaker jack, it is line-level at about 800mV for a packet
      > > > signal. Note that the jack is unsquelch-ed, so newer TNC's only...
      > > >
      > > > regards - Willy KC0JFQ
      > > >
      > > > Given the above information, I think you would be better off with
      > > > the EQ
      > > > jumper on. Try it with un-squelched and with SWDCD ON. Good luck
      with
      > > > the HTX-202.
      > > >

      > > > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      > > > --
      > > > "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic