2836Re: [tracker2] Garmin Nuvi 350 and T2

    Jan 31, 2008
      I'll crack it open (and maybe buy another) if I can't get the specs out
      of Garmin. It looks like it's probably just welded shut and not molded
      on, at least. I'll also find out what my price is, assuming I can buy
      it as an OEM dealer.

      I'll be trying out the messaging protocol tomorrow. I'm not sure
      there's any way for the client to initiate a message, but it can at
      least receive and reply to messages.

      I'd really love it if I could get Garmin to define some simple user
      interface elements, so you could do things like configure the tracker
      through the touch screen.

      Scott

      P. Suryono Adisoemarta wrote:

      > Hi Scott,
      >
      > This is a great news. Glad you made it working with
      > Garmin's PVT protocol, as this means there is hope to
      > use the current USB-only Garmins on a T2.
      >
      > Whenever you have time, could you see if you can
      > figure out the circuit on that cable?
      >
      > 73 de Paulus - N5SNN
      >
      > --- Scott Miller <scott@... <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> wrote:
      >
      > > I discovered something interesting today. Here I've
      > > been telling people
      > > all along that the newer USB-only Garmin receivers
      > > like the Nuvi are
      > > worthless for APRS. Turns out I was wrong.
      > >
      > > When I heard about Garmin's fleet management
      > > interface, I decided it'd
      > > be worth checking out. It needs a special cable,
      > > though - for the Nuvi
      > > 350 I picked up, it's Garmin p/n 010-10813-00. By
      > > the looks of it, it's
      > > probably just got a level converter inside, but I'm
      > > not sure.
      > > Apparently there's a serial interface of some sort
      > > that can share the
      > > USB connector.
      > >
      > > The fleet management protocol looked suspiciously
      > > like a subset of
      > > Garmin's regular binary serial protocol, so (once I
      > > figured out the
      > > cable pinouts and soldered on a DB9) I fired up the
      > > test program I'd
      > > written, and sure enough, it spit out a list of
      > > supported protocols.
      > >
      > > I plugged it straight into a stock Tracker2 and the
      > > activity light
      > > started blinking green, showing a good fix. I piped
      > > in some recorded
      > > APRS traffic and the map screen started showing APRS
      > > stations. Here are
      > > some pictures I took (haven't tried the screen
      > > capture program yet):
      > >
      > > Map screen (2D mode):
      > > http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-map.jpg <http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-map.jpg>
      > > Waypoint list: http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-list.jpg
      > <http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-list.jpg>
      > > Station detail:
      > > http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-detail.jpg
      > <http://n1vg.net/images/nuvi-detail.jpg>
      > >
      > > It's not perfect - the waypoint set is different,
      > > for one. You can see
      > > that all of the cars are now up on lifts with the
      > > hood up! The digis do
      > > show up as antenna towers, at least, and the houses
      > > are there. I'll
      > > have to find out if it'll take custom symbols.
      > > Also, it seems to have
      > > some quirks about showing waypoints at different
      > > zoom levels.
      > >
      > > The Nuvi 350 has a USB port on the side and another
      > > one on the clip-on
      > > base, so you can power it and plug it in to the
      > > tracker at the same
      > > time. When I find out how the serial interface
      > > adapter works, I'll see
      > > if I can power it from the tracker, or maybe vice
      > > versa. I'll also see
      > > about a cheaper substitute for the cable - this one
> [...]
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic