      Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:01 AM
      Subject: Re: [tracker2] Which Tracker to use?

      On Fri, 22 Nov 2013, KA5TRO wrote:
      > I am planning to build a couple of ?ammo can? systems with digipeater and tracking capabilities.
      > Going to use the Yaesu VX-150 as the transceiver. I also have Garmin nuvi 350s I want to
      > interface as well. My intention is that these be self-contained systems with 8Ah SLA
      > batteries and everything fittable in the can. I will mount an external BNC jack for antenna
      > connection so that it can be set up closed, and also an external PowerPole connector for
      > connecting solar panel or charger to recharge battery while closed as well. The GPS would be
      > powered from the battery and mounted on the outside of the can when needed, but left in the
      > can if only digi functions are required.

      > I *think* that the OpenTracker+ is probably the best choice here, even though it?s obsolete,
      > due to its digi and Garmin capabilities. I don?t think the OT3m is a good fit due to its
      > size. Is there something else I should consider? One thought I?ve had is to use the
      > OpenTracker USB and a Raspberry Pi as the digi and potentially for other functions, but I?m not
      > keen on having that much power draw in the box.
      >
      > Certainly interested in input here. Nothing set in stone at this point.

      Nuvi 350? Probably OT3m.

      Pi? Well, you could build a WiFi mesh with the Pi, as well as doing
      sound card packet, but you have to had USB WiFi and USB audio.

      Any time you're putting up a digi, having it locate itself and announce
      periodically isn't a bad thing. You might be able to triangulate from it
      later.

      --
      Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
      Disinformation Analyst