15945Re: [tracker2] Small Affordable Self-Contained APRS?

    Sep 27 9:32 AM
      I hadn't thought of that. Looks like there are plenty of shells on the
      market, but most of them wouldn't have much interior volume for
      batteries. We could probably vacuum form something here, though that
      sort of curve might be beyond my CAD skills. In any case, it'd still
      need a whip antenna extending from it, except for maybe a UHF version.

      Scott

      On 9/27/2013 9:02 AM, qrv@... wrote:
      > Have you considered a "sharkfin" type shell?
      >
      > They are very common now and less likely to stand out.
      >
      > WDYT?
      >
      > > Oh yeah, I was answering questions about the magmount tracker. I'm
      > > hoping to keep it under $160. We'll see how the manufacturing costs for
      > > the housing turn out. Batteries, too.
      > >
      > > Right now, the prototype looks like this, but with magnets on the bottom
      > > and an antenna on top:
      > > https://www.plumbersstock.com/product/451/3in-slip-cap-abs/
      > >
      > > For sleep mode, it'd wait until your GPS speed dropped below a set
      > > threshold and then shut down (save for optional periodic beacons) until
      > > the accelerometer detected motion. The GPS receiver is capable of
      > > reduced duty cycle operation in tracking mode, but I don't have any
      > > solid data yet on how well it performs in real-world APRS applications
      > > that way. If you're going for more than two minutes between beacons, it
      > > certainly seems like it would be a good option, if I set it up properly.

      > Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
      >
      > David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA
      >
      > Search with: duckduckgo.com

      > Creative Tech: groups.yahoo.com/group/ham-macguyver
      > Raspi Alternative: groups.yahoo.com/group/beagleboneblack/
      >
      > Restored to design-spec at Heaven's gate 1Cor15:22

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic