15537Re: [tracker2] Re: Tracker3 / OT3m - next steps for a new owner (after the manual)?

  • Tony VE6MVP
    May 6, 2013
      At 05:50 PM 2013-05-05, Scott Miller wrote:

      >Programmers and engineers often aren't the best at
      >taking the time to document and explain things to newbies - we'd
      rather
      >be building stuff.  =]

      Absolutely.    <smile>  (I'm a programmer)

      >Something that drives me nuts about the ham world is that it seems
      like
      >anyone who knows how to throw together a web page wants to share
      their
      >knowledge with the world, and often it's just *wrong*.  When I
      went
      >looking for hard data on SSTV format specifications years ago, there
      was
      >so much inaccurate and incomplete information out there that it took
      me
      >forever to find the one document I needed.  APRS has a lot of
      that, too,
      >with horrible path suggestions and bad explanations
      everywhere.

      Or old information, such as mentioning RELAY favourably, that hasn't been purged or marked as obsolete or doesn't have a publication date.

      This actually is where a Wiki can come in nicely.   One problem in one APRS product is that there are only five people who can update the wiki. So when other folks, like me, come across something that they'd like to add a paragraph or two, then they can't.

      Tony
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic