15534Re: [tracker2] Re: Tracker3 / OT3m - next steps for a new owner (after the manual)?

    May 5, 2013
      I'm really trying to take some time to go back and fill in the gaps, and
      put out some good introductory material for people just getting into it.
      The problem is that APRS was a DIY thing from the start and it grew
      very organically. Programmers and engineers often aren't the best at
      taking the time to document and explain things to newbies - we'd rather
      be building stuff. =]

      Something that drives me nuts about the ham world is that it seems like
      anyone who knows how to throw together a web page wants to share their
      knowledge with the world, and often it's just *wrong*. When I went
      looking for hard data on SSTV format specifications years ago, there was
      so much inaccurate and incomplete information out there that it took me
      forever to find the one document I needed. APRS has a lot of that, too,
      with horrible path suggestions and bad explanations everywhere.

      I could put together a Visio diagram that conveys the same information
      as this infographic we're working on, and in fact the stick figure
      sketch I drew to send to the artist covers the material, but I'm hoping
      that getting an artist involved and making it look good will help it to
      displace some of the *bad* information that's out there, and not just
      add to the clutter.

      Plus, some nice APRS posters will give me something to hang up in the
      front office. Right now the only decorations in there are the Cowboy
      Bebop sketches someone drew on the whiteboard.

      Scott