15287Warning on the Nuvi 350 cradle mini USB power connection

  • Tony VE6MVP
    Feb 27, 2013
      Folks

      Not sure where to start warning folks but I'll start here.   I happened to notice that the mini usb adapter going into the back of the Garmin Nuvi 350 cradle was munged.  Actually it was bent so far down it was at a 90 degree down angle immediately past the metal socket part.  So all that was holding in the place was part of the metal and the wires.      Basically Garmin should've put the power adapter somewhere else rather then right below the ball socket  Right above wouldn't been great.

      Turns out the problem was that I had the Nuvi 350 too vertical on the mount from the suction cup adapter.  I needed to have the pivot arm from the suction cup to the  ball socket angled way forward to give the USB micro adapter lots of clearance to the vertical arm.    If I'm making any sense.

      To put it another way if you look at this picture https://www.thebcgpsstore.ca/Garmin-Suction-Cup-Mount-for-Nuvi-300-GPS-automotive-series-theBCGPSstore.ca/ it is too vertical.  There's not enough clearance for USB micro adapter cable end.   The GPS and cradle needs to be further forward so the arm is at more of a slant.

      This would've been perfect.  <smile>   http://www.abt.com/product/25855/Garmin-0101081500.html

      As I have lots of USB mini cables I'm going to purchase several cheap micro USB right angle adapters from eBay and a dual USB port cigaretter light adapter.

      Tony
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic