15110Re: [tracker2] otusb has no lights

  • Brian Amos
    Jan 13, 2013
      some further testing shows that D3 has 12v in and nothing out, so that is probably the culprit, although c3 seems to not be functioning either (no voltage potential across the cap), so I assume whatever happened happened caused those two at least to malfunction (possibly the voltage regulator as well).

      If this is the case, why would it not function using power from the usb? And why would all this happen on the 12v input area when I was using it with the 12v supply side unhooked and powering from a 5v regulated supply?

      Brian

      On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Brian Amos <bamos1@...> wrote:
      Using your 12v cigarette lighter adapter into a 12v battery:
      I get 12 v in from the DB-9
      U1 registers no voltage difference between the CN4 8 pin (ground) and either the 12v or the 5v side of the voltage regulator.
      The diode D4 shows no voltage on any of the pins either.
      R-11 shows 12v on the left and ~.6v on the right

      With 12v unplugged and using 5v usb power:
      D4 shows 5v on top pin
      cn4 pin 1 shows no voltage

      I am going to try to make time to check for a broken trace this afternoon.

      Glad to know that this list is customer service.

      Thank you,
      Brian KF7OVD

      On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 11:10 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
      What's the 12v power source?  If it's one of our tracker cables with a
      cigarette lighter, unscrew the tip and check that the fuse is OK.

      The left side of the voltage regulator is the input and the tab is the
      output.  You should see 12v at the left side, and 5v on the right side.
        Diode D4, down and to the right from there, separates regulator power
      and USB power.  You should see 5v at one of the legs, and slightly less
      than that at the center pin.

      Scott

      On 1/11/2013 6:57 PM, Brian Amos wrote:
      > Its not getting 5 volts with the usb powering it or with 12v. The odd
      > thing is with 12v power source the voltage regulator isn't getting 12v
      > either. Looks like I may have to call customer service Monday...
      >
      > Brian
      > KF7OVD
      > On Jan 11, 2013 10:57 AM, "Scott Miller" wrote:
      >
      >  > If you've got a voltmeter, you can check the output of the regulator and
      >  > see if it's getting 5v.
      >  >
      >  > Scott
      >  >
      >  > On 1/10/2013 3:08 PM, bamos1 wrote:
      >  > > I was using the otusb plugged into a 5v usb adapter plug on my vehicle
      >  > > and the power flashed off and on quickly, now the otusb will not light
      >  > > up with either 12v or connected to the USB. I have determined that the
      >  > > 5v usb converter is loose and appears to have lost contact on hitting
      >  > bumps.
      >  > >
      >  > > No lights come up but it appears to be drawing power from the usb host.
      >  > > Windows and linux both are not recognizing the device either.
      >  > >
      >  > > How can I fix this?
      >  > > Thanks,
      >  > >