15057RE: [tracker2] OTUSB UI-VIEW32 GPS Pass Through? Serial Data Monitoring?

  • Fred Hillhouse
    Dec 28, 2012
      Hi Chris,

      To only monitor data, set your COM port to 9600, 8, N, 1. I forget the mode but don't use KISS. Or you use the USB port and I don't remember what I did there.  I think I had to set the RX level on the OTUSB as well to optimize RX. You will also need to set the VX-6 volume to the same level each time you use it.

      To actually use the TNC for TX and RX:

      The TNC will beacon on its own as a simple tracker. But if you want to see the world around you, you will need to connect a PC.

      I connect via serial (9600,8N,1) and use KISS on Port A.

      I connect a GPS to Port B. It does not interleave NMEA with regular data. I built a splitter to split port A and B to separate connectors. In addition, I added a GPS splitter so two devices can receive the GPS data. My GPS can feed my TNC and PC. Currently, the GPS data does not go to my TNC but the ability is always there when I need it.

      On the KISS port, I hang a PC (desktop, netbook, tablet, phone -  yes, each of those have been connected at different times.

      On the PC, I run APRSISCE/32. Check it out! You may be pleasantly surprised.

      The OTUSB can run its own profile while connected to to a PC. The PC can also control it. This means that if you do not have a PC connected, it will beacon per your settings and when you do connect a PC, it will still beacon and the PC can TX/RX through it.

      I don't use an HT because the output level of the radio affects receive performance. I prefer radios with a Mini-DIN connector or one that is easily accessed internally. Once the levels are set, there is no way to just bump them. And they are pretty cheap.

      Best regards,
      Fred, N7FMH