15020Re: [tracker2] Interesting --beacon problem between Nuvi 350 and OT2

  • Tony VE6MVP
    Dec 12, 2012
      At 09:02 PM 2012-12-12, Scott Miller wrote:

      It now gets stuck every time I tried it.  I can't recall if I tried it when it was warm at the end of my 2 hour drive yesterday.

      I'll play with it, including if necessary, clearing out the settings to see what fixes it.   And post back.

      Tony

      >Is it responding normally now, or does it get stuck every time you
      try
      >to send it again?
      >
      >Scott
      >
      >On 12/12/2012 7:58 PM, Tony VE6MVP wrote:
      >> At 08:49 PM 2012-12-12, Scott Miller wrote:
      >>
      >> I bought both the Nuvi and the T2-301 about a year ago and
      haven't
      >> updated the firmware since although I did at that
      time.     I'll pull it
      >> from the vehicle in the next day or so and bring it in.  I
      don't feel
      >> like going outside this evening in this weather if I don't have
      to.  Not
      >> that it's all that cold yet.
      >>
      >> Note though that the --bea command did work for the last
      year.  But
      >> suddenly didn't.  And all --beacons since did not
      work.    Hmm, could it
      >> be because the units were at a temp of about -15 C (+5 American)
      at the
      >> time and hadn't yet warmed up?   Although I think when
      I tested it the
      >> following day it had warmed up to about 0 C (or 32
      American.)

      >> Note that I cleaned up the problem by deleting the --bea or
      --beacon
      >> from the outgoing message queue.
      >>
      >> Tony
      >>
      >>  >I've run into something like this before.  What
      firmware version is your
      >>  >nuvi running?  IIRC, there was a bug in one
      version that related to
      >>  >message acknowledgement - the nuvi tells the tracker
      when there's a
      >>  >message and gives it a unique ID, but the tracker also
      polls with a
      >>  >catch-all ID in case it missed the announcement.
      The nuvi responds with
      >>  >the message but then the tracker only has the
      catch-all ID for it and
      >>  >ack'ing that ID doesn't properly remove it from the
      queue.  At least
      >>  >that's how I remember it - it's been a couple of
      years.
      >>  >
      >>  >More recently I've seen at least two cases where a
      message seemed to get
      >>  >corrupted in the nuvi's memory and also wouldn't
      ack.  The only way I've
      >>  >found to fix it is to use the maintenance menu (hold
      down the upper
      >>  >right corner of the touch screen while turning on the
      nuvi) to clear all
      >>  >user data.
      >>  >
      >>  >Scott
      >>  >
      >>  >On 12/12/2012 12:53 PM, Tony VE6MVP wrote:
      >>  >> Folks
      >>  >>
      >>  >> I have a T2-301 with the OT2 TNC and a Garmin
      Nuvi 350 with the FMI
      >>  >> cable.  It has worked well for several
      months.  I have, in the past and
      >>  >> only 4 days ago, happily done the --bea as a
      message on the Nuvi and the
      >>  >> OT2 sends out a position
      beacon.     In the past the --bea beacons once
      >>  >> and goes into the sent message queue with a
      time/date.
      >>  >>
      >>  >> But Monday afternoon the --bea was
      "stuck" being sent.    As I did this
      >>  >> a minute or two into a two hour drive the Tracker
      happily beaconed my
      >>  >> position every 10 or 11 seconds.   You
      can see this at
      http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a%2FVA6OO-9&timerange=345600 .
      >>  >> Ensure the time frame includes Monday
      afternoon.   You will see my
      >>  >> return track showing normal beaconing and there
      is a lot of overlap on
      >>  >> the straight sections. On the curves you will see
      my rather frequent
      >>  >> beacons.
      >>  >>
      >>  >> I only noticed this problem because I turned on
      my commercial FM radio
      >>  >> in the vehicle while still out on the fringes of
      my favourite radio
      >>  >> station.  I noticed the interference on the
      FM radio, which I seldom do,
      >>  >> and was wondering why I was getting so many
      static bursts on the radio.
      >>  >> <smile>
      >>  >>
      >>  >> Otherwise I would've happily been beaconing for a
      considerable length of
      >>  >> time while I was in the city for the next 24
      hours incurring the wrath
      >>  >> of the city folks while I was clogging up the
      city APRS network.
      >> <wry smile>
      >>  >>
      >>  >> It is still behaving the same despite doing a
      power off and on cycle of
      >>  >> the Nuvi 350 and the T2-301.   Any
      ideas?
      >>  >>