14863Re: [tracker2] want to get messaging working - please send messages (or volunteer to receive one)

  • Eric Fort
    Oct 4, 2012
      On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 1:53 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I looked at the deviation using the calibrate command and alternating
      > tones
      > > on a spectrum analyzer and it at least liiks reasonable, somewhere
      > between
      > > 12-15khz with alternating high/low tones and the deviation looked about
      > > the same as the touch tones sent by the ft-2800.
      >
      > Are you using a wide band FM transmitter?

      I thought I mad that clear. I plug serial bits into one end of an argent
      t2-301 http://www.argentdata.com/images/fc301d-vhf1.jpg. I attach an
      antenna to the bnc connector (happens to be on the same end....) - magic
      happens.... well ok vastly simplified but the general idea I did configure
      my callsign and connect the nuvi350 to it for gps and fmi data exchange but
      basicly t2-301 with proper accessories as provided by argent.

      > > also what SHOULD my 2 tone deviation be?
      >
      > Your deviation should be about 3 kHz.

      would not a wideband fm transmitter be about 100kc deviation? I'll see if
      I can get a better measurement and verify what I found on the spectrum
      analyzer, really though the signal I was seeing at 144.390 out of the
      t2-301 in calibrate mode varied in width depending upon how many db down
      from the peak one measured. it may be only 3khz wide at the peak.

      > > more antenna seems to be a big help. Beginning to think
      > > more tx power (like a dedicated dr-135) might help a bit too.
      >
      > An antenna to toss your signal out into the ether helps. What does the
      > channel sound like around there? Is it busy, or do you hear a lot of
      > dead air? More gain and more power is the solution a lot of people
      > use. Yell louder to get heard... don't work towards reducing the noise
      > level, just yell louder. Obviously yelling louder is easier to do than
      > trying to reduce the noise level.

      144.390 around here has reasonably constant traffic on it. from just
      listening I'd say it's busy enough to have someone transmitting 90% of the
      time without having too much trouble with collisions. I'd love to reduce
      the noise level, but much of that seems to be out of my control.

      > > I've read this multiple times. the description of how it's supposed to
      > work
      > > in theory looks really good. The reality you describe not quite as good.
      > > I'll take you at your word as I'm new at this.
      >
      > The theory is how it HAS to work.
      >
      > If you are thinking that you're going to see your internet based
      > station on RF on a regular basis, you're going to be disappointed.

      theoretically as it's described I figure it should work perfectly every
      time (in a perfect world) to send messages in either direction.
      Observationally and as you describe it, I'm learning not so much....

      > > on the nuvi I selected create message. I then entered what I thought was
      > > the proper syntax to send a message to an email address.
      >
      > Hmm, the NUVI should pad out the destination call properly.
      >

      > > I'm guessing that I got the syntax and message formatting wrong
      > > upon entering it into the nuvi
      >
      > Just tell the unit to send a message to email, and in the message body
      > just put "joe@... This is my message" Anything up to the first
      > space is the email address, and after the first space is the message.
      >

      > > if only FMI allowed for a dialog to be presented on the nuvi where
      > > the tracker requested the to address and the message body seperately.
      >
      > Fleet Management has no clue about APRS, let alone sending an APRS
      > message to a specialty address for forwarding on to the internet.
      >
      > The AvMap G6 has a custom message function for APRS, but still is not
      > tailored specifically for sending email. APRSISCE/32 does however have
      > a specialized input dialog for email messages via APRS messages.

      well one can wish! not much one can do there though as that's a garmin
      design decision not a decision by argent or scott.

      Eric

      > --
      > James
      > VE6SRV