14855Re: [tracker2] want to get messaging working - please send messages (or volunteer to receive one)

    Oct 4, 2012
      On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:

      > WIDE2-1 is my current outgoing path.

      Okay, great... you're good on your end... it's the network that's screwed up.

      > AD6EP-3 is connected to the internet only. It must rely solely on the
      > network to deliver packets to and from RF.

      Have you read about gating to RF yet? That does NOT happen
      automatically on a regular basis.

      > I have attempted to send a
      > message from AF6EP-3 to AF6EP-1 and after several hours the message has not
      > made it, even though I can see AF6EP-1 displayed at AF6EP-3. I never have
      > however seen AF6EP-3 show up on the display at af6ep-1.

      Again, have you read the information presented that describes the
      process and all the bit that need to be in place and working properly
      for this to happen? All of which is out of your control?

      > The message was formatted as indicated here:
      > http://www.aprs-is.net/email.aspx but I may have gotten the syntax
      > incorrect. I'll try using the email-2 alias.

      You still never answered the question... HOW did you send that message?

      > Well I've driven around with it and gotten good tracks, I can use
      > messaging to send commands to the t2-301 such as requesting the firmware
      > version and get a proper response. From that I would gather that the wiring
      > is at least proper and shows that the t2-301 and nuvi350 are on speaking
      > terms with each other. Packet formatting and syntax could be a problem due
      > to inexperience and Deviation while I hope to check it has not been altered
      > from the way it was delivered from argent wherein I'd expect them to set it
      > properly.

      As I said, you're probably in the ballpark...

      > We seem to have a slight difference in terms when we claim bits to rf.
      > The t2-301 and t3-301 by argent are truly bits to rf and rf to bits devices.
      > the ot2m and kpc-3 for instance are not.

      Well, we're going to disagree...

      > The former, I attach serial BITS
      > to one end and an ANTENNA to the other and that antenna radiates and
      > receives radio waves. The later examples given interface to bits and make
      > audio that then can be used to modulate a radio and make rf and take rx
      > audio and make bits. these later examples still require a radio as they are
      > bits to audio, not bits to rf.

      You do know that the DR-135 is a radio, right? Just because you open
      the case and stuff the TNC inside the case doesn't change the fact
      that you are pushing audio out the wires from the OT device and into a
      radio. It matters not where the TNC resides, nor where the radio
      interface connector is presented, either inside or on the back plane
      of the radio.

      > Part of the point I was making is that in a
      > device that's bits to rf, the deviation ought be set properly once at the
      > manufacture and left alone as it is a complete unit. something like the
      > later examples likely require fiddling and tweaking depending what radio
      > they get interfaced to and the requirements of said modulator.

      This is true... the OT2-135 is going to be installed in a known radio.
      However, the deviation is set via the configuration firmware. Loading
      new firmware, a new configuration, or just plain user twiddling can
      change the deviation adjustment. There's no guarantee that the
      deviation is adjusted perfectly. One can assume that the deviation is
      set properly, or remove all doubt and check it. You're getting
      decoded, but we have no idea how many packets you have sent, nor the
      number that have been digipeated locally on your RF network. Your
      deviation may be bang on. We can't tell from here... It is one of the
      fundamental settings that can make or break successful packet
      operations. You need to tell us if you're good there or not. As stated
      numerous times previously... you're close enough that at least some of
      your packets are being decoded. We can't tell if it's all of them or
      just some.