      To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
      From: ve6srv@...
      Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 22:42:50 -0600
      Subject: Re: [tracker2] looking for a comprehensive list of aprs digipeaters (us based on 144.390)

      On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:

      > Anyone know where or have a link to where I might find a listing or
      > directory of APRS digipeaters across the us with at least lat/lon for
      > location if not coverage maps?

      Yup, try using APRS to view the APRS digipeaters... what good would a list of digipeaters be when you can have a map?

      aprs.fi will show you the digipeaters. Go to the site, and then look on the right side of the display. There are icons along the upper right edge. The one under the star is a funnel. Select that, and then uncheck All Stations, and put a check mark beside Digipeaters.

      You should now have a display of all the digipeaters on the map with all the other stations hidden. You can't zoom far out though. Once you get far enough out, you'll just get the coloured squares showing activity levels.

      You can also use an APRS client to observe the same information on your local machine. APRSISCE/32 will allow you to observe the full APRS-IS feed, or a subset of it as desired. You can then filter the display to only show digipeaters.

      In both instances, if the digipeaters are configured properly (they have accurate PHG information), you can turn on the PHG circle display and get a rough estimate of the coverage area of these digipeaters.

      > I'm especially interested in aprs coverage
      > in West Virginia around the towns of Green Bank and Sugar Grove and how far
      > out of town one needs to get in these areas to regain aprs coverage.

      APRS is intended to show you this type of information, IF the people operating the network follow the recommended configuration instructions.

      Here's a look at digipeaters with PHG circles in the area in question... hopefully it doesn't get stripped out of the message.

      Inline image 1

      Some people get a little optimistic with their height above average terrain and show extremely large coverage areas.