14292Re: [tracker2] T2 digipeating n>setting

    Jul 1, 2012
      On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Rob <vk6ufo@...> wrote:

      > On 02/07/12 01:53, James Ewen wrote:
      >
      > Ideally, the digipeating hop limit routine should ensure that both n
      > and N in the WIDEn-N digipeating hop request are less than or equal to
      > the desired hop limit.
      >
      > I suspect that's what most people expect to happen.

      Unfortunately there's even less documentation on how the digipeating
      routines are supposed to work than there is about the packets bouncing
      around the network.

      As such, people are making things up as they go. UIFLOOD and UITRACE
      digipeating was first introduced on the Kantronics line of TNCs, and I
      use them as the baseline as to how the functions SHOULD work. There
      are some issues with the routines in the Kantronics, but we have a
      really good idea of HOW the routines were INTENDED to work.

      There are some extensions of the functionality being introduced, but
      the fundamental functionality needs to be uniform across all
      implementations of digipeating.

      That's not the case though. Each implementation has a slight
      variation, or anomaly, which I have been pushing to get "corrected" so
      that they all work the same. I've been after Scott to make some
      changes, I've gotten Byon to correct an issue in the TT4, and I'm also
      working with Lynn to modify the digipeating implementation in his
      program.

      I'm also working with Lynn on documenting issues in the Kenwood line as well...