14093Re: [tracker2] AVS (was: new to this stuff...)

    May 4 8:50 AM
      On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      <ldeffenb@...> wrote:
      > On 5/4/2012 10:24 AM, James Ewen wrote:
      >> I don't know of any APRS applications that would store an SSTV image,
      >> nor do I know of any SSTV programs that include APRS functionality.
      >> They may be out there, anyone know of one? If not, then there's a
      >> niche market for you!
      >
      > Three letters: AVS: http://wa8lmf.net/bruninga/vision.html

      That's not really an application, but rather a conceptualization of an
      idea.It's also kind of an offshoot from SSTV as it uses a totally new
      method of sending the images, using digitally encoded data transported
      over APRS UI frames.

      > I really want the specs to this as I'd love to incorporate it into
      > APRSISCE, the mobile version, to grab a picture from the camera, encoded
      > it and braap it over APRS where any other instance can capture it
      > realtime and a server-side instance can put all of them on a browsable
      > web page for historical reasons.

      I figured you would be interested in this type of situation. AVS has
      advantages over the SSTV concept because the AVS packets can be
      relayed via a digipeater whereas the SSTV signals would be limited to
      simplex range unless being bounced through an audio repeater.

      > Picture the first responder capability of getting pictures out when the
      > cellular networks are still down.

      It has some interesting uses, but there are also many limitations.
      That doesn't mean that one can't play with this type of stuff...
      that's what amateur radio is all about.

      It may sound like I'm working hard to try and keep this type of system
      from being implemented. Far from that, I'm just playing Devil's
      Advocate, and pointing out possible issues that can be stumbling
      blocks. It's easier to bash ideas around and try and ensure that you
      are headed down the right path before starting to put real world
      things together, whether that's software or hardware.

      > But I think we're getting pretty far off the Tracker2 topic now...

      Yeah, but it's still fun... maybe Scott will make some special hardware.