13716Re: [tracker2] Digi Question

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Mar 13, 2012
      James VE6SRV wrote...

      > Case sensitivity is part of the specification. There are other
      > things in APRS that are case sensitive, so does that make them
      > broken as well? There are details that are conveyed due to the
      > case of specific characters in the specification.

      If you agree that MHz is case sensitive in the frequency for a
      repeater object, would you also consider the usage of beaconing a
      repeater object is incorrect if it is just plain missing the MHz?
      That is my point. If you beacon a repeater object where the only
      place the frequency is shown is in the name of the object, it is
      unusable for users of current crop of tune/QSY radios, namely the
      TH-D72A/E, TM-D710A/E and the FTM-350AR. Yes, a human
      can look at the frequency and (laboriously) dial in the frequency,
      offset and tone but why go out of your way to remove some
      extremely useful functionality in this new crop of radios?

      > It's incorrect to consider a packet format incorrect just
      > because of a problem with the implementation of the decoding
      > of that specification in a specific piece of hardware as well.
      > Modifying the specification to work around limitations in a
      > hardware implementation does not make the specification wrong.

      The specification itself is a moving target, and a number of times
      changes have been recommended by Bob himself to fine tune it
      to match Kenwood's implementation of his recommendations to
      them. The new radios require a particular format to be able to
      use the tune/QSY button. I'm not going to intentionally do
      something to prevent them from being used to the fullest extent.
      The format shown on the following page agrees with you...

      www.aprs.org/localinfo.html

      and the following page gets it right (mostly except for the
      example of D256 which doesn't exist and a few other odds'n'ends)
      and is compatible with the D72, D710 and FTM-350AR. That
      is the route I will take. I didn't invent it. I just borrowed a
      D72 and found what works and what doesn't. The "frequency
      spec" page emphasizes FFF.FFFMHz or FFF.FF MHz but
      does also show the frequency for the object name... but you
      can't put MHz there to make it tuneable. Perhaps a compromise
      would be to have the frequency in the object name to keep
      you happy (and those that don't have a D72 etc.) and to also
      have a tuneable frequency in the beacon comment. I would still
      prefer to see the callsign but would fight more for a tuneable
      frequency in the comment rather than leaving it out to spite
      owners of the "new" tune/QSY capable radios.

      www.aprs.org/info/freqspec.txt

      Anyway, enough of this. I'll type up a note for the APRS SIG
      when I get a chance.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      ve7gdh@...
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic