13701Re: [tracker2] Digi Question

    Mar 11, 2012
      On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

      > > C'mon Keith... you're being nasty now...
      >
      > No, I'm not being nasty.

      Sure you are... just like I am!

      > I'm making an observation about a path
      > being used by a digipeater.

      Yeah, but that wasn't asked for. You know how it happens... getting
      labeled as mean and nasty, trying to dictate to others how they should
      run their equipment. (BTW, I am playing a bit of the Devil's advocate
      here as I fully agree with Keith's statements up until now)

      > > WD5MHZ>APU25N,GAYLOR*,K5CS-12*,WIDE3-1,qAR,KA5MGL
      > :;442.425-R*030027z3458.72N/09419.35Wm442.425 +
      >
      > I completely missed that it was a repeater object, but had I
      > noticed it, I would have been nasty about that one too. 8-)
      >
      > I don't have a D72, but I have had the use of a club-owned one for
      > the last week and a half. Having had a chance to play around with
      > it, I would actually disagree with the "voice repeater spec". I
      > believe it is wrong to use the frequency for the name of the
      > object. I would instead use the callsign of the repeater followed
      > by -R to indicate at a glance at the station list that it's a
      > repeater.

      You're swimming upstream here! When you see an object with a frequency
      in it, it is immediately recognizable as repeater object. There aren't
      many assigned callsigns that are all numbers.

      > Going on and using the "tune" button, it is imperative
      > that the frequency is followed by MHz... e.g. 442.425MHz (case
      > sensitive) followed by T136 for the tone and + for the offset, so
      > my recommendation would be KA5MGL-R for the name of the
      > object.

      You've been hitting the beer early today! KA5MGL is another station
      entirely. It was an i-gate about 180 km east of the repeater that
      gated the packet to the internet. You're also mixing up repeater
      objects and QSY information that I am seeing a lot of people doing.
      The guys in Calgary are getting their voice repeater objects all
      screwed up by trying to put QSY information into the repeater objects.
      They are different beasts. Close cousins, but still different.

      > I've played with repeater objects generated by a KPC3+,
      > beacons from UI-View, from a script running on an IRLP node
      > (local club meeting announcements) and an APRS  IRLP status
      > object, and my conclusion was the same in every case. I felt it
      > was actually better to have the callsign for the object name
      > instead of the frequency, or of course in the case of an IRLP
      > node, IRLP-xxxx with the node number highly visible in the
      > station list.

      You're going to have to fight the masses then. I like the frequency in
      the object name where it is highly visible, and very unlikely to be
      mistaken for anything else. If you were local here in Edmonton, and I
      told you to meet me on the VE6HM repeater, the first question out of
      your mouth would be "What's the frequency?". Why go that extra step?
      Why not just say "Hey Keith, meet me on 444.100 MHz.". There's no
      mistaking that I want to meet up with you on the UHF side of that
      repeater, not the VHF side (which uses the same callsign).

      The frequency is the key component of getting communicating. The
      callsign is irrelevant, it is only required for government
      identification purposes. You could jump back one more step... why not
      use the location name for the object? EDMNTN-1 would work (since we're
      using EDMNTN as the digipeater alias). But then which Edmonton
      repeater are you talking about? That adds even more ambiguity to the
      mix as there are a dozen or so repeaters to choose from.

      > Yes, I should be saying this over on the APRS SIG, but there
      > are lots of T2s out there being used for digipeaters, so this
      > should be useful information for those adding repeater objects.

      Indeed, but this isn't really the forum for hashing out proposed
      changes to an established protocol. We should limit the information to
      how to get things implemented in the OpenTracker line in accordance
      with the currently established protocols.

      On the script examples page in the wiki there's an attempt at sending
      a repeater object with what is purported to be a 12 minute interval.
      It in fact sends the object after 10 minutes in a 22 minute repetitive
      cycle.

      The biggest problem with the ease of disseminating information on the
      internet is that very few people attempt to ensure that the
      information being delivered is actually correct.